Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2005, 11:49 PM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Arrow Which Car Would You buy? 56k Warning

I need to buy another car as a daily driver and I'm looking for #1 reliability and #2 style. I have found 5 cars that I can buy for the same price. (Please keep in mind that the BMWs have newer style lights that you can buy and are plug and play.) So, if you had to choose between the following cars that are in the same condition, same amount of mileage and same price..which would you choose:

Option #1 - 1995 W124 E320 or E420





Option #2 - 1997 W210 E320





__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Option #3 - 1995 Lexus LS400



__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Option #4 - 1997 BMW 528i or 540i





Option #5 - 1997 BMW 740iL



__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 376
Tough call.

I REALLY like the shape of the 740iL. Most of the ones in the years you specified has taken a pretty healthy depreciation hit and are affordable. One side of me is torn between their sexy shape and amenities, but the more practical side says the Lexus 400LS is going to be less expensive in the long run and will probably better retain its resale (if that matters?).

I also like the 540i, but for me the proportions and style of the 740iL get me going.

I have read the 740's have issues with trans, air flow meters, display units and radiator necks that may result in head damage. Most claim that by around 100k these items have probably been replaced lowering some potential repair costs.

The Mercedes, you specified, of the same vintage don't really do anything for me.

My $0.02.

Tinker
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 82
Its a slam dunk for me.

Though the 210 tail lights are nice I never liked the headlamps, but I like the w124

I hate BMW wire issues so its the W124 for me.

But its yur choice and I hope you enjoy the one you choose.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2005, 12:27 AM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker
Tough call.
I REALLY like the shape of the 740iL. I also like the 540i, but for me the proportions and style of the 740iL get me going.
Tinker
I love the 7 so much and a friend of mine just took one on trade with only 80k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker
One side of me is torn between their sexy shape and amenities, but the more practical side says the Lexus 400LS is going to be less expensive in the long run and will probably better retain its resale (if that matters?).
Tinker
I hear great things about the LS. Resale value is very good also. Solid construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker
I have read the 740's have issues with trans, air flow meters, display units and radiator necks that may result in head damage. Most claim that by around 100k these items have probably been replaced lowering some potential repair costs.
Tinker
The problem with the 7 series transmissions as far as I know from my research is that if you have the fluid changes and use an aftermarket filter, than you will more than likely experience a whinning or whirring noise. Change the filter to a orignal FILTRAN.
Air flow meters- I heard it was the senso that fails around 80k+.
Display units- missing pixel problems in electronic displays can go.
Radiator Necks- yes they go at roughly 60k-90k.
You missed the 2 other problems on the E38 list of problems which are cup holders break and catalytic converters are expensive and start to go at around 100k+
If these issues have already been adressed than the car should be worry free. That is why the E38 BMW 7 got my vote and not the W140. The W140 evaporator core job alone costs $$$$$ and not to mention the rest of the known issues.
__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz

Last edited by lino; 04-16-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2005, 12:29 AM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by theairboy
Though the 210 tail lights are nice I never liked the headlamps,...
I feel the same...
__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2005, 12:30 AM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkamiya
I will not consider 3 or 5. Simply too expensive to repair. I'll probablly pick 2 or 4. I already have 1.
Do you really believe that 3 or 5 will cost more to maintain than the others?
__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 102
#1 reliability
Lexus for sure..........

Although I drive 89 560SEL/ 94 E420/ 97 S500/ 97 S600 now.....none give me big problem
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 320
I would go with LS400. According to one news report, a 10 year old LS is more reliable than a new 7 series.

The tecnhology in the W124 is from the late 70's, and is no comparison for the LS, in ride, handling, safety and comfort. Also, LS is far superior in noise, vibration and harshness levels.

As for the W210, I drove a 01 E55 AMG and was not very impressed.

I have spent some time comparing the systems on the 95 LS and 94 E, and the LS is very immpresive. Cost for the repair parts vary, AC compressor is cheaper for the LS but the Air Flow Meter is a whole lot more expensive for the LS. At the same time, the design on the LS is such that it will work for 500,000 as opposed to the E, where it needs replacing every 60-100,000 miles.

You can buy subscriptions on www.alldatadiy.com, compare the systems on all the cars you are interested in, find out what the repair parts costs and how long it takes to replace them along with service bulletins.

I would buy a 98 or later LS400/430. In 98, five speed transmission was introduced, along with Navigation and the updated V8 produces 290 hp.

An overview of forums below will reveal that the LS has very few and very different problems then the E!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/index.php
__________________
Zafar
94 E320 58000 Miles
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2005, 06:46 PM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchowe420
#1 reliability
Lexus for sure..........

Although I drive 89 560SEL/ 94 E420/ 97 S500/ 97 S600 now.....none give me big problem
Let me see V8 + V8 + V8 + V12 = 36 Cyl and no big problems .... you must be very
__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2005, 06:51 PM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by zafarhayatkhan
I would go with LS400. According to one news report, a 10 year old LS is more reliable than a new 7 series.

The tecnhology in the W124 is from the late 70's, and is no comparison for the LS, in ride, handling, safety and comfort. Also, LS is far superior in noise, vibration and harshness levels.

As for the W210, I drove a 01 E55 AMG and was not very impressed.

I have spent some time comparing the systems on the 95 LS and 94 E, and the LS is very immpresive. Cost for the repair parts vary, AC compressor is cheaper for the LS but the Air Flow Meter is a whole lot more expensive for the LS. At the same time, the design on the LS is such that it will work for 500,000 as opposed to the E, where it needs replacing every 60-100,000 miles.

You can buy subscriptions on www.alldatadiy.com, compare the systems on all the cars you are interested in, find out what the repair parts costs and how long it takes to replace them along with service bulletins.

I would buy a 98 or later LS400/430. In 98, five speed transmission was introduced, along with Navigation and the updated V8 produces 290 hp.

An overview of forums below will reveal that the LS has very few and very different problems then the E!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/index.php
Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. I'd like a 98+ LS except that it it's more than my budget will allow right now. The closest I can get will probably be a '95-'96.

BTW I've been in a 04 E55 AMG and that car is impressive. I've never been in a W210 E320 or E55.

How do you feel about the E38 1997 BMW 740 compared to the 1995 LS400?
__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: san diego, CA
Posts: 45
without a doubt...

w124 ALL THE WAY!!!
__________________
1987 300E - champagne
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...-tiny-w124.gif
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2005, 03:11 PM
lino's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady luxe w124
w124 ALL THE WAY!!!
How about sharing with us your personal experience comparing your W124 with the ES300 regarding reliability.

Thank You
__________________
1989 300CE Astralsilber/Schwarz
1992 300CE Schwarz/Schwarz
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Well I prefer the W210 to the 5 series, but a 540I would be a fun car.

On the other hand the Lexus LS400's are not a bargin, parts are very expensive and I would rather fix a broken MB then a broken Lexus. However you cannot go wrong if you want a cheap ride.

I really like the 740's, a lot that would be at the top of my list.


However didn't the late 90's BMW's have problems with their engines losing compression? The Nikisel(sp?) coatings would wear off the cylinder walls and cause the engines to lose compression. My friends sister was dating a guy for a long time with a 97 740IL. BMW picked up the tab when the engine lost compression. It was only 3 years old when the engine blew.

I know the 98-99 XJ8's also had this problem.

__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone offered to buy my car tonight 123c Diesel Discussion 8 12-02-2004 01:13 PM
FS 79' 280CE- Nice car yorktown5 Mercedes-Benz Cars For Sale 1 09-08-2004 12:09 PM
Would you buy a car on Ebay? BJ300SDL Diesel Discussion 16 04-02-2004 06:11 PM
nice 1969 300SEL 6.3 for sale, Portland OR gerryvz Mercedes-Benz Cars For Sale 0 06-23-2003 06:09 AM
Ought I Buy This Car? benchracer Tech Help 12 02-02-2002 11:51 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page