Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 69
93 300E transmission problem

Hello all,

Yesterday I drove home from college about 130 miles without a problem. Earlier today when I was making a short trip around town and my engine was flaring a little bit from stop. I would have to get the RPM up to about 2500 to get it moving. Then about an hour later when I was about to drive somewhere else the problem got way worse, 6000RPM to get moving. Then I knew that this problem was way too big for me to handle and am now looking for help/suggestions from other forum members.

I don't know very much about how to go about fixing things of this nature but here are some things of importance:

1. Engine starts up and runs perfectly fine, revs normally with no odd noise.

2. Reverse works normally as well

3. When I shift to D I don't feel anything, like it's still in Neutral.

4. 221k miles (I know, a lot)

I don't know what any of this means, common sense just leads me to thinks its a transmission problem, probably serious.

I'm not entirely sure a rebuild will be worth it on this car

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 69
never finished the last sentence...

...not entirely sure a rebuild is worth it on this car but I really hate to see it go.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 3,035
I recommend having a MB-trained independent tech evaluate the transmission problem and suggest possible fixes and the cost of each. Then you can decide which option is the most viable. Keep in mind that any other used MB that you buy as a replacement may need expensive repairs to get it up to snuff.
__________________
Fred Hoelzle
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Hirnbeiss's Avatar
ich fahre, also bin ich
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,660
You need to check the ATF level first

Check while the engine idles. FIll to the correct level with Dexron II or III.
If the level was way low (more than 2 quarts), you may have roasted the transmission.

Either way, you should change the fluid and filter, basically to see how it looks at this point, and that's about the only thing we mortals can do. If you have clutch pieces and other debris in there, it's rebuild time. If it looks fairly clean, then it may be repairable, but you should find a tranny shop to look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,538
My local MB independent installs rebuilt transmissions for your car for about $1,200. That's parts and labor, and they come with a one year warranty.

Surely your car is worth more than $1,200.
__________________
Paul S.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 69
Thank you all for your help but I don't plan on doing much outside today be ause it is about -18 degrees. I also have to find a way to get back to school with out my car (130 miles away) by 9am tomorrow so basically I think the car will just sit until spring break. Hopefully it will be warmer and then I could get to doing some real thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:44 PM
G-Benz's Avatar
Razorback Soccer Dad
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas/Fort-Worth
Posts: 5,711
221K miles? Yours lasted longer than mine!

Mine is flaring on 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, and filters, fluid, and the K1 kit did nothing to solve the problems.

I'm driving my tranny to the ground and opting for a rebuild this summer...if it lasts that long!
__________________
2009 ML350 (106K) - Family vehicle
2001 CLK430 Cabriolet (80K) - Wife's car
2005 BMW 645CI (138K) - My daily driver
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2007, 04:12 PM
C32AMG's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: new york/orange county
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapmonkey470 View Post
Hello all,

Yesterday I drove home from college about 130 miles without a problem. Earlier today when I was making a short trip around town and my engine was flaring a little bit from stop. I would have to get the RPM up to about 2500 to get it moving. Then about an hour later when I was about to drive somewhere else the problem got way worse, 6000RPM to get moving. Then I knew that this problem was way too big for me to handle and am now looking for help/suggestions from other forum members.

I don't know very much about how to go about fixing things of this nature but here are some things of importance:

1. Engine starts up and runs perfectly fine, revs normally with no odd noise.

2. Reverse works normally as well

3. When I shift to D I don't feel anything, like it's still in Neutral.

4. 221k miles (I know, a lot)

I don't know what any of this means, common sense just leads me to thinks its a transmission problem, probably serious.

I'm not entirely sure a rebuild will be worth it on this car

B2 piston failure or broken B2 band
__________________
Steve Cattaneo www.mastertechtrans.com


03 SL500
02 MB AMG
87 560 SEC
87 300D
928S 83
85 928 S2 EURO
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2007, 04:16 PM
C32AMG's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: new york/orange county
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Benz View Post
221K miles? Yours lasted longer than mine!

Mine is flaring on 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, and filters, fluid, and the K1 kit did nothing to solve the problems.

I'm driving my tranny to the ground and opting for a rebuild this summer...if it lasts that long!
Adjust the modulator; turn the T handle CW two or three turns
__________________
Steve Cattaneo www.mastertechtrans.com


03 SL500
02 MB AMG
87 560 SEC
87 300D
928S 83
85 928 S2 EURO
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
C32AMG's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: new york/orange county
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by suginami View Post
My local MB independent installs rebuilt transmissions for your car for about $1,200. That's parts and labor, and they come with a one year warranty.

Surely your car is worth more than $1,200.

$1200 for a rebuilt or repaired transmission installed, thatís cheap. Does it include a rebuilt torque converter, new B2 piston if needed, updated reverse B3 clutches, new bands if needed, not relined, they donít last, all seals, gaskets, clutches changed. Secondary pump elimination kit, any valve body updates, new vacuum modulator, linkage bushings and clips.
__________________
Steve Cattaneo www.mastertechtrans.com


03 SL500
02 MB AMG
87 560 SEC
87 300D
928S 83
85 928 S2 EURO
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 69
b2 piston

Thanks a lot C32...from what I've read so far you are spot on diagnosing this problem. I'm gonna do some research after I get back to school tomorrow nad will probably tackle this issue over spring break. Anyone want to offer some advice on whether or not someone with no experience on a transmission can replace this part?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by C32AMG View Post
$1200 for a rebuilt or repaired transmission installed, thatís cheap. Does it include a rebuilt torque converter, new B2 piston if needed, updated reverse B3 clutches, new bands if needed, not relined, they donít last, all seals, gaskets, clutches changed. Secondary pump elimination kit, any valve body updates, new vacuum modulator, linkage bushings and clips.
I have no idea what it comes with, just that he buys them from a local rebuilder.
__________________
Paul S.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: AL
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by C32AMG View Post
B2 piston failure or broken B2 band
I thought B2 piston failure caused a loss of reverse. Am I remembering wrong?
__________________
2012 E350
2006 Callaway SC560
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Benz View Post
221K miles? Yours lasted longer than mine!

Mine is flaring on 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, and filters, fluid, and the K1 kit did nothing to solve the problems.

I'm driving my tranny to the ground and opting for a rebuild this summer...if it lasts that long!
What does it mean by FLARING?? Is this like loud noise? Sorry I am not up to snuff on Tranmission lingos.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: AL
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by throne7 View Post
What does it mean by FLARING?? Is this like loud noise? Sorry I am not up to snuff on Tranmission lingos.

It is when the engine speeds up during the shift, like if you pushed the clutch in but did not let off the gas when shifting a manual trans.

__________________
2012 E350
2006 Callaway SC560
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page