Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 76
W124, freon issue.

I have a 1992 300ce, and i dont know what type of freon or where it should be put in from, nor the pressure.
Could anyone guide me to a good type of freon, where to put it and at wut pressure

Thank you

Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Johnson City, TN
Posts: 985
I humbly suggest that you simply take it to a shop and pay them. It is not as simple as buying the freon and putting it in. It also can be dangerous, high pressure gas, if you don't know what you are doing.

Highly likely that you have an R-12 system. You can't buy it unless you pass a test on the Internet, Federal Law. Why waste your time. You need to find out where your leak is.
A shop will put in dye and try to find the leak.

If it's your compressor, or evaporator then it's a task far about your tool and skill set.

'92 300E Sportline 242K (This car has had 2 major A/C episodes at around $1,200 each)
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 AM
POS's Avatar
POS POS is offline
Registered User
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,506
He's right. If you have no clue about how to do this, you're gonna learn the hard way - and by that, I mean it's going to cost you a pile to fix what you did wrong.

You probably have R12, take it to an independent. First question is: why do you have no freon in the system? And once the leak is found (using a "sniffer" is the best way - garages have them), then you can fix the leak and refill the system.
- Brian

1989 500SEL Euro
1966 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:40 PM
BENZ-LGB's Avatar
Strong, silent type
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,663
Ditto the above.

I just had Enrique "top off" the freon on my 300CE. He did it while the car was in for a scheduled service and front brake pads.

You really do need specialized equipment to do the job right.

Incidentally, I just found out that the front brake pads for the 300CE are more expensive than the ones for the 300TE. Dang it!
Current Benzes

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:51 PM
dakota's Avatar
Moof !
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Seattle WA USA
Posts: 469
I agree with the previous replies, that it may be best to have a specialist look at it if you aren't familiar with A/C work.

BTW, my '92 300CE uses R-134a; I think the M104 engined cars were changed over first in NA.

To find out which Freon you have, mercmike, just look at the top of the upper radiator crossmember in your engine compartment. It will have one of two placards on it, specifying which you have. Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
W124, freon issue.-r-134a-air-conditioner-sae-j639-.jpg   W124, freon issue.-r-12-air-conditioner.jpg  
1992 300CE Sportline Sophie
1990 300E Emma - in the family
1979 240D Josephine - sold, but not forgotten
2004 Pacifica AWD
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:31 PM
just-n-time's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisiana266 Maloy Rd winnfield71483
Posts: 804
First if he went out and bought one of those wally world 134 kits,and had a 12 system he could not hook it up! though from the sound of it he dose not know enough about freon.(124). No insult intended just what I see,save yourself from a damaged compressor,take it to a pro,it may just need a slight service and a pound of freon to top it off. JNT
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Florida / N.H.
Posts: 8,804
A note for a/c DIYers..

The R-12 Refrigerant in your autos is a CFC refrigerant [chlorofluorocarbons]

The use of the word "FREON" is not a type of refrigerant, but rather the Copywrite Brand Name of refrigerants made by Dupont.
Refrigerants can be from the Genetron Co and be the same R-12 HFC, but it is not would only be Freon if it was a Dupont product CFC.
This used to be a common accepted term to refer to refrigerants, mainly b/c Dupont was first to replace sulfur and ammonia as refrigerants due to their toxicity, but with all the new refrigerants on the market today, it is only used by those outside the trade..the correct term is simply Refrigerant...
..but freon will do fine here...

I can remember way back when guys also just called it "GAS"..
...when a guy would come in and ask us if we could put some GAS in his a/c, we would say.. " Sure, you want HighTest or Regular????"


Last edited by Arthur Dalton; 04-29-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page