Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2009, 12:38 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
Exclamation How to replace fuel pumps on m103

Hey all I did a search and found nothing! Even on the actual internet very vague information.

How do I go about doing this? I disconnected the battery and have all the tools but what is the process? Which ones comes out first? Is it a simple as a swap? How do I relieve the pressure on the fuel system on this car?

Please help!

__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
ALSO**

This is my fist time doing this so I assumed that you just take the fuel lines off ect (I know, I know) I started untightneing one bolt and fuel was starting to come out so I stopped and tried to tighten it back because I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I just read how you need to depressurize the system BEFORE you do anything.. I don't want to start the car now though because there is gas on the negative and positive terminals on the bottom fuel pump! What do I do?

When my friend changed the fuel filter on his 300E he didn't depressurize the system and he was fine wtf
__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)

Last edited by JordaanDMC-12; 11-15-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 582
Use clamps on the fuel lines. It's not pressure, it's gravity
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds190 View Post
Use clamps on the fuel lines. It's not pressure, it's gravity
Really? so I don't have to worry about that? I can just unscrew the fuel lines?
__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 582
Remove the gas cap first to relieve fume pressure in the tank, and then tighten it.

Yes, after you put pinch clamps on, you can loosen the lines. Otherwise, you will be taking a gasoline shower.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:26 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds190 View Post
Remove the gas cap first to relieve fume pressure in the tank, and then tighten it.

Yes, after you put pinch clamps on, you can loosen the lines. Otherwise, you will be taking a gasoline shower.
Awesome, thanks! That was really the only step I was worried about... Too bad I didn't do this on an empty tank -_- we don't have that many clamps. I think just one :S
__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
Exclamation HELP!

Someone please help, I have no idea what just happened and I don't know if I'm doing this right.

I tried taking off the fuel lines and one of them broke. The line from one of the pumps to the furl filter. This is such a nightmare.... What did I do and where do you unscrew them from? Did I totally mess this up?????? lord have mercy lol

This is what i'm dealing with at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
How to replace fuel pumps on m103-l1090389.jpg   How to replace fuel pumps on m103-l1090394.jpg   How to replace fuel pumps on m103-l1090390.jpg  
__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Looks like because you did not use a second wrench to "back-up" the fitting you where trying to break free you ended up twisting the entire part an broke the steel line where it connects at the banjo fitting. There is a fitting which threads into the fuel pump and there is a banjo connection with its own nut which connects to that. You should have used a wrench on the fitting where it threads into the pump to hold it from turning then another wrench on the nut securing the banjo fitting to crack that nut free.

Now you need a replacement line, that about $30 last I saw. You will also need replacement crush washers for each side of all the banjo fittings in order to prevent leaks when you re-assemble everything. A small dab of grease on the electrical connections to each of the fuel pumps will be much appreciated by the next person to fool with them, also replace the rubber boots on the electrical connections if they are torn or damaged. When putting everything back together grease the screw which tensions the bracket holding the two pumps together, itís small and Philipís head so itís easy for it to be a pain to remove if it gets any rust.

Get everything together loosely and in place and then give the fittings their final tightening torque that way there is no tension binding between the parts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 PM
79Mercy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,131
Listen to Billybob, he is correct.
__________________
1985 300TD Turbo Euro-wagon
1979 280CE 225,200 miles
1985 300D Turbo 264,000 miles
1976 240D 190,000 miles
1979 300TD 220,000

GONE but not forgotten
1976 300D 195,300 miles
1983 300D Turbo 175,000 miles

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...e485-1-2-1.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2009, 03:47 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
Looks like because you did not use a second wrench to "back-up" the fitting you where trying to break free you ended up twisting the entire part an broke the steel line where it connects at the banjo fitting. There is a fitting which threads into the fuel pump and there is a banjo connection with its own nut which connects to that. You should have used a wrench on the fitting where it threads into the pump to hold it from turning then another wrench on the nut securing the banjo fitting to crack that nut free.

Now you need a replacement line, that about $30 last I saw. You will also need replacement crush washers for each side of all the banjo fittings in order to prevent leaks when you re-assemble everything. A small dab of grease on the electrical connections to each of the fuel pumps will be much appreciated by the next person to fool with them, also replace the rubber boots on the electrical connections if they are torn or damaged. When putting everything back together grease the screw which tensions the bracket holding the two pumps together, itís small and Philipís head so itís easy for it to be a pain to remove if it gets any rust.

Get everything together loosely and in place and then give the fittings their final tightening torque that way there is no tension binding between the parts.
Thanks billbob! I'm now on my way to go get another fuel line... ugh a mistake i'll never make again that's for damn sure lol
__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordaanDMC-12 View Post
Thanks billbob! I'm now on my way to go get another fuel line... ugh a mistake i'll never make again that's for damn sure lol
I'd be suprised if it's a stocked item! World Pac does carry it I'm almost certain, if not its a dealer part! Don't forget the crush washers!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2009, 02:59 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
Well I got up at 6:00 this morning to finish everything up and I put it all back together at 11:30 and started it up and she ran! The most beautiful sound in the world atm!!!

Just (hopefully) one last problem. I reused the old copper washers from the other pumps and put them on the working ones It's now leaking....

So i'm off to get some washers and be done with it!!!!
__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
I hate to say it...

I hate to say it but I give up lol

After both fuel pumps got brand new OEM copper washers from Mercedes-Benz of Palm Springs and the darn thing is still leaking pretty good when there is pressure in the system. I have no idea why... I think I might just take it to the mechanic my dad has been saying we take it to since the start. Guess it's time to admit defeat by a fuel pump job.....damn
__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
79Mercy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,131
wheres it leaking from don't give up on a leak.
__________________
1985 300TD Turbo Euro-wagon
1979 280CE 225,200 miles
1985 300D Turbo 264,000 miles
1976 240D 190,000 miles
1979 300TD 220,000

GONE but not forgotten
1976 300D 195,300 miles
1983 300D Turbo 175,000 miles

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...e485-1-2-1.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Mercy View Post
wheres it leaking from don't give up on a leak.
I know it sounds lame, especially on a leak but I don't know what else to do. As far as I can tell it's leaking from the top fuel pump, but I mean it's got new OEM washers from MB and it's as tight as it can go.. What else can I do?

the hose going from the tank to the fuel pump did start leaking but stopped after the pumps were hanging in the correct position. I didn't see fuel dripping down the hose when I tired starting it, it was just coming from the top fuel pump and dripping onto the bottom one. arrgh

__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page