Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2002, 11:22 PM
Posts: n/a
1989 300E Freeze Plug R & R

I have a leaking freeze plug on the right aft portion of my M103 engine.

My plan is to:

1. Drain Cooling System

2. Clean Scale and coolant residue around the plug, cut away any remnants of former sealant.

3. Drill pilot hole in the center of the plug, insert self tapping hex screw.

4. Exert as much leverage as possible to yank the plug.

5. Clean plug area of debris, etc.

6. Insert new freeze plug using appropriate sized socket to press it into hole, using sealant around the outside seam.


Is this the correct method to do this, and what type of sealant is recommended to seal around the plug?

Any feedback or guidance is appreciated. This problem has been causing a slow loss of coolant over the last few months, and I want to put a stop to it.


Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:30 PM
Posts: n/a
Guess I stumped everybody. Seriously, though, can anyone provide an answer. I searched the archives and there really aren't any prior posts that address this question.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:46 PM
engatwork's Avatar
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Soperton, Ga. USA
Posts: 12,429
I don't think you have to drill it. You should just be able to hammer a large screwdriver through it, twist it and work it out.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:15 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: secret
Posts: 3,044
The right rear freeze plug is actually a screw in type plug. The rest are pressfit.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by Cap'n Carageous
The right rear freeze plug is actually a screw in type plug. The rest are pressfit.
interested in what happend about re and re the freeze plug. My plug just
below the intake manifold has also rusted through ('89 300e) and I need to replace it. wondering if it is screw-in or pressfit? Mind you, can't see it being a screw-in type since it doesn't appear to be configured for - pardon me - 'screwing'. That is, it's just a round blank with no way of applying a tool of some kind

cheers, guenter

Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page