Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: oregon
Posts: 2,013
Euro AC help

The Ac on my 86 Euro 500SE has been slowly loosing it's cooling power.When I take it to a shop I want to be armed with some info. Any guess as to what refridgerant was used in this model and any other info would help, I looked in search.This will be the first time I have taken a car to a shop for anything but automatic tranny rebuild and front end alignment in thirty years.......
William Rogers......
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 12:51 AM
MikeTangas's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 4,430
There should be a spec label on the radiator support with the info. I'm thinking that since it is an '86 it should be R-12 unless it has been converted. If converted there should be a label denoting such conversion, plus the fittings will be different (however, some home done conversions are missing the label).

Hopefully someone well versed in the Euro's will step in.
Mike Tangas
'73 280SEL 4.5 (9/72)- RIP
Only 8,173 units built from 5/71 thru 11/72

'02 CLK320 Cabriolet - wifey's mid-life crisis

2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon least its a diesel

Non illegitemae carborundum.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 05:36 AM
Posts: n/a
Mike is right, but if it is converted there is not always a label. If it simply has 1/4" inverted flare connections, it is most likely still R12. If it is 134, it will have quick disconnect looking connnection adapters.

An a/c shop will have a refrigerant identification instrument that they use before recovering refrigerant. This ensures that they do not contaminate their recovered R12 with alternative refrigerants.

There are many people using all sorts of off the wall "alternative" refrigerants. These things are blends of 12 and 134, propane, butane, and who knows what. It would be worthwhile to find a good a/c shop and have them test it and fix it for you.

There are many independent shops that are very good auto a/c shops. If it has not been converted, I would recommend that you stay with R12. It will cool better and the price is now coming down since many cars old enough for R12 are being taken off the road.

Good luck,
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page