View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 12:11 AM
I like OM603's

Noob with 83 300D Cold Start issues

Hi All,
I recently acquired a 83 300D Turbo W123 with a KKK turbo in fair condition, bought as is for less than 800 bucks.

SInce purchasing the vehicle, I have:
  • Changed Both Fuel Filters- Filled the screw on with Diesel Purge
  • Changed to updated Bosch Primer Pump
  • Changed Injector supply and return lines
  • Adjusted ALDA
  • REmoved the 15 lb oil soaked air filter, and cleaned air filter housing
  • Cleaned the "U" Tube of oil and found it wasnt even connected to the turbo
  • carefully Cleaned the intake area of the turbo with a cloth and some kerosene
  • Lots of miscellaneous Suspension work

I am still planning on adjusting the valves and replacing all the glow plugs and cleaning the banjo bolt fittings.

The glow plug light usually only stays on for 3-4 seconds and goes out, so I start the car, and it runs good for about 5 seconds, and then starts to falter, shake, smoke and stumble. If I dont feather the throttle, or give it gas, it dies. I restart and have to play with the gas pedal,or hold it 1/8- 1/4 down all the while with smoke and rough running making the hood rattle and the whole car shaking. After the car is warmed up (5 mins sitting or 3 mins driving) it idles beautifully, and accelerates effortlessly (THANK YOU ALDA GODS!). Warm strarts are the same, no problems whatso ever! Once the car is warm, no smoke, idles great no shaking, nadda.

DOes anyone have any ideas to kick this way? I still want to replace the rest of the fuel hoses, and under the car as well. My next step after the new suspension parts are installed and the car is aligned, is to clean the motor and start chasing oil leaks. But with this cold start issue (even in Texas) is a little disheartening.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Dub
11 GT500