View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 11:12 PM

Adjusting "slack" in the steering system

I got this response from a member here on the forums on how to lessen the "play" in the steering. I am wondering if this the same procedure applies to the 85' 380SE as it does to the 84' 300D. I am hoping that I can easily eliminate some of the slop in my steering. I thought I would post here for more exposure.

"Adjusting "play" in the steering system"
Thanks for that information. Now I have a 85' 380SE, so I am wondering if this is the same basic procedure as the 84' 300D? Thanks."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA18C
To adjust the free play in the steering whell (the slop, so to speak), you will find a large bolt on the sterring column, it has an allenhead nut in the center. It is a large 20-22mm bolt and I think a 10mm allen head. You loosen the bolt, and adjust the allen head COUNTER clockwise. Recommend 1/4 turns. I had to use a craftsman wrench with a pivot, one of the ratcheting wrenches, so that I could keep the allen head from moving when I tightened it back up. took me all of 10-15 minutes and it removed all but about 3/4" play in the steering wheel. (From another board, that is close to factory) If you adjust the allen head too much and remove all the play, the steering does not seek neutral and you will be forever correcting. I was amazed at the difference, sterring feels great.

I am happy with all of the mechanicals on my car, just need to sort out the AC and I have a mix of copper and solder fuses that I want to replace whole sale. A windoe regulator is on the way, so hopefully I can sort out these minor nuisance electrical quirks and enjoy the car.

We are thinking of running 20 RUG and 80 WVO if I can locate a good source. From reading that appears to give great results without modifying the car.