View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnk View Post
Moreover, does anyone have any springs they would suggest for the car? I have Bilstein HD shocks that I recently installed so something that would work with those would be good. Im looking to lower the car a little, mainly to increase stability and cornering levels. Thanks alot... kumar_shawn@hotmail.com
I used the factory Sportline springs. Don't automatically throw "1 point" spring pads in for whatever springs you purchase. You're supposed to get springs that set the ride height correctly to start with, and the pads are used for minor adjustments as needed. If the springs are too low (in front, or rear, or both) than a 1pt pad is just going to make it worse. The problem with aftermarket (H&R, Eibach, etc) springs is that they are designed for one particular model, for certain years, for certain equipment (say, 1990-1993 300E) and if you install them on a different year/model, that weighs more or less, it won't sit right. Ditto for with/without self-leveling rear, the springs have to be correct for the application. That's what's nice about the Sportline springs, there are a lot of them, and you can use the EPC to determine the correct ones for your exact setup (via the factory "points" system). I actually used 400E Sportline front springs on my car because the tallest 6cyl springs were still slightly lower than I wanted.

Lower is not always better, especially if you expect some kind of suspension travel. When it's too low, it sits on the bump stops - not good. My target is 14.00-14.25 inches front and rear, with a full tank of fuel, from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender lip. I've had some of my 124's lower (13.0-13.5) and it's just not practical for a street-driven car, although it looks cool.

To reduce body roll, install larger sway bars... either Sportline front & rear (27.5 and 16.5), or limo front (28.5 with 500E rear (18.0). You can install Sportline front lower control arm bushings, and rear subframe bushings as well.

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!