View Single Post
Old 02-10-2002, 12:49 PM

Post WARNING: I am a newbie (-;

So, where would I check the diff fluid from? I assume from the diff itself. I've read some threads about getting the plug off and it doesn't sound like you just unscrew a bolt like you do for the engine oil. But, I think you guys are right, it didn't seem like much to worry about, just a little annoying.

So, what would a new/used diff cost (approx)? How hard are they to replace?

TxBill, you say it may still hum after a used diff was installed to replace the current one. Is this because the problem may exist elsewhere or just that the used one would have the problem with it was well?

I think I might purchase the car. He's asking $1,800. I had him down to $1,700 before I left. I would like to get around $1,500 or a little less, I think that would be a good price??? He didn't sound like he would budge too much. What do ya'll think? Too high? It's a 1982 240d with 163k original miles. Occasional shutoff problem, no cruise, dented hood, and rear diff hum.

I guess if I said that it will need a new diff, vacuum lines will have to be fixed, and the oil cooler needs to be fixed, maybe he would come down more?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Daniel

1994 C280 129k miles