Thread: Hold the beef
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
I think so.

This is why we should never, ever eat food from swollen cans or from jars of food that give-off gas when opened. Also sniff freshly opened cans & jars. If it fails the sniff test, discard it. Cooking will NOT render it harmless because the anaerobic bacteria have been busily at work in the can or jar, producing extremely toxic substances as a biproduct.
An interesting allusion to botulism. I'm managed to avoid getting this particular illness, but I understand it's quite unpleasant. I've given myself salmonella enough times that I barely notice it now (raw eggs are yummy).

In other countries, beef sashimi is relatively safe to eat. Here, we do a few things wrong that make raw or undercooked beef a bad idea. Finishing cattle on corn-based feed tends to increase their stomach acidity. Our stomachs are supposed to be highly acidic. Cattle stomachs aren't . Regular E. Coli are killed when they hit our acidic stomachs. The strains that have adapted to survive in corn-fed cattle aren't as easily killed. Combine that with routine contamination of meat from the digestive organs of slaughtered cattle and you have yourself a bit of a problem.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 400,xxx miles
08 Suzuki GSX-R600 M4 Slip-on 22,xxx miles
88 Jaguar XJS V12 94,xxx miles. Work in progress.