View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Registered Biodiesel User

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsrock View Post
It's coming along! Next on the list is to replace the driver rear door check That should be fun getting the panel off . . .
I did both of my rear door checks, not a big job. When removing the inner door panel, remember to remove the ash tray first, then the ash tray frame. (Optionally, you can remove the frame with the ashtray in it – it's easier to see what you're doing if you remove the ashtray first.) Note that the ash tray frame has two plastic clips or hooks; in each door panel, one clip helps hold the panel to the inner metal door. These clips often are broken by trying to lever the frame out the wrong way. As I recall, the frame pulls out at the bottom and swivels so that the plastic hook detaches from the door.

Next, remove the puddle lamp, unclip its wires, and stuff them back inside out of the way.

After removing the door-handle hardware and the locking knob, the panel can be lifted up and off. There are at least a half dozen plastic hooks that hold the panel onto the metal door. Once the panel is off, you can remove the door check and install the new one.

Replacing the door skin is mostly a job of getting the panel hooked at the top while making sure all of the plastic hooks get into their holes. Probably easier to do this with the window rolled down.

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970