Thread: My 240D
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDBCB20 View Post
Great post. Is this of a OM617? Are the marks to line up on the Camshaft Gear and Tower the one's circled in red and yellow? Does the item circled in green point to the degree of timing? What would the reading in the picture be?

Thanks.
Yes the pic is from my 84 300D OM617.952.Camshaft Gear and Tower the one's circled in red and yellow? Yes.

Does the item circled in green point to the degree of timing? Yes; and It is showing aproximately 2 degrees past the "0" which is Top Dead Center on #1 Piston.

This means my Camshaft Timing is 2 degrees retarded/late in timing (I did this check at 198,000 miles).The indication is that there is enough Timing Chain Stretch and wear on my Timing Gears to give me that 2 degrees late timing
There is a more accurate check called the 2mm Method that uses a dial indicator (Look in the DIY section as to how to do this).
If I had gotten a reading of les say 4 or more degrees of late timing I would do the 2mm Method to see more precisely what the timng is.

As mentioned by anothe Member they make some "Offset" Woodruff keys to compensate for the Timing Chain Stretch but I believe for my vehicle you have to have min of 4 Degrees of stretch to use one.

However, last Tuesday I did finally re-time my Fuel Injection Pump which also had late timing due to the fact that it is driven by the same Timing Chain.

Last edited by Diesel911; 03-01-2009 at 12:13 PM.