View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Linesider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSDL View Post
how much was your garmin and does it record the mileage only when you turn it on? if you put it on odo mode when you start you car every time it keeps track perfectly or does it do it when the car is off too somhow?

I used my old E-trex garmin for all of this. It is a portable unit I used to use for hiking and Mountain Biking. It only records when I turn it on. Before I start checking mileage I reset the ODO function before I roll off.

The problem with my ODO being so far off is a combination of oversize tires and the wrong size "brass" gear in the cluster. I think at some point my cluster was swapped for another. This is based on some research that I did with another forum member on the number of teeth on the brass gears in different clusters. I have put up several posts on this if anyone is interested in searching. But, they are for the 123.

I think that in your case. I would track the odometer over a period of a few days and compare that to the GPS. If you see a difference between days... Then you know your odometer is slipping and or you have a gear that is about to fail. In either case it is an easy fix and there are a few tutorials on the 126 around. I think there is even one over at ODOgears.com.

It could be fine too. The only way to tell is to check it for a few days. If it is way off, it will be obvious quickly.

1985 300D (SOLD)