View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 AM

got rear ended, need advice

Earlier today I was rear ended in my 240. I slowed down because the car in front of me had abruptly slowed to turn into a gas station. I was then rear ended by the driver of a dodge dakota who was not paying attention. He was then rear ended by a suburban. I'm not sure how fast the dakota was going, he tried to swerve to miss me but couldn't get out of the way in time. The right rear of the 240 took the hit from the dakota.

I have not got any estimates yet but I would guess its in the neighborhood of $3-4k to repair the car. It would need a new tail light, new rear panel, new trunk lid, and straightening of the quarter panel.

Little info on the car: its an 82 240d body (240k mi) with a 617 turbo from a w126 (160k mi). The car is 98% rust free (two small bubbles about the size of a pencil eracer, and some rust under the front bumper side rubber pieces) The interior is in decent shape, typical dash and driver seat cracks. Everything on the car works 100%. The engine has zero blowby and is VERY strong.

Anyone have any advice for me on dealing with the insurance co? I am fully expectiong them to tell me the car is worth nothing and offer me something like $1k and totaling it. This is unacceptable to me but I am wondering what kind of realistic prices I should expect to get for this car?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I have attached a cell phone pic of the car at the accident scene.
Attached Thumbnails
got rear ended, need advice-image_1611.jpg