View Single Post
Old 06-07-2002, 12:30 AM

The instructions on the referenced website are very good. The only differences that I do are:

Step 7.
While lowering the cover onto the canister I make sure the large O-ring stays in the groove by feeling for it with my finger tips just as the cover is lowered to meet the canister housing. I had one incidence where the O-ring fell out and was clipped into two parts (front and back) while I tightened down the cover. I did not check that area for leaks before driving off. Fortunately, I needed diesel and stopped only a few blocks away to fuel up where I had planned to check the oil level. I had lost almost all of my oil in those few blocks with a massive leak around the canister cover. Needless to say I ALWAYS check that O-ring area for leaks now immediately after starting the engine.

Step 12.
I check the oil level again now when the car is on level ground.

But that’s just me. The instructions are excellent as they are. I’d just say that for the most part you can’t go wrong with a quality 15W –40 diesel rated oil such as the ones mentioned – Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac…… If you want to learn everything about oil, go to this website and do some searches:

http://www.oilanalysis.com/message_boards/by_category.asp?Category=Car%20and%20Truck%20Lubrication

JohnM