View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

603 exhaust crack patch

OK, my newest family member the 87TD had no turbo boost...
SOoooo, I checked several things, and found a cracked flex line between cylinders 2 and 3 on the manifold. (why the heck is the manifold in two pieces?)
anyway, speaking with whunter, the parts are available, but they require removal of the turbo, firewall, exhaust manifold, (at least the front section...) and TONS of gaskets and such.
well, I'm a cheap B@%$trd, soooo I went to the auto parts store, and looked at exhaust patches. many were pastes, and goos, NOT FOR PRETURBO FITTINGS!!!!! I'd just hate to see what one of those would do once it fell apart and bits and chunks hit the 140,000RPM impeller... no, not for me!
anyway, Permatex has a resin cloth that goes on like tape, but not sticky, you just wrap it around the cracked section, and attach it with wire according to the box. it then melts to the form of the leaking part and hardens!
well, I figure it's worth a try, worst case, it blows out, and I'm no worse off than before.
I cool the motor down a bit, then remove the clamps on each side of the flex fitting.
wrap the "tape" around the joint 2 or three times, and reattach the clamps.
off for a test drive, I can feel boost, but I try hard not to push it, I don't want pressure blowing out the softening resin.
it says to go for a 30 minute drive, so I leisurely get it up to speed on the highway, and let it strum along at 70.
I get about 15 minutes from home, and turn around and go back.
when I stop the car smells like somebody left the some tupperware on the stove and it melted all over everything....(lets not ask how I know that smell~) anyway, I pop the hood to release some heat, and go in the house for a bit.
I come back out, and the fix looks very solid!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!