Thread: Diesel Purge
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 08:37 AM
rob_frick

One thing, I used a clear glass jar, so that I could see the fuel level, and run it as low as possible but not run it out.
I set the jar on the flat spot by the fender well on top of the drivers side coil spring, then secured it with a strap so I wouldn’t have to hold it the whole time. The lines were easy, 1) I disconnected the incoming fuel line from the tank at the plastic fuel filter (opposite the pump side) this is the inlet side. On my car it was the straight-in nipple, not the one at 90 deg. I plugged the rubber line from the tank, and installed a 2 ft. length of fuel line back on the filter. This line became the fuel pick-up and set in the bottom of the jar. 2) I disconnected the large diameter rubber return line that originates near the top of the spin-on fuel filter, and goes back to the fuel tank. I unclamped it where it connects to the hard metal tubing back to the tank, the section in my car was long enough to set in the jar, this line returned unused fuel back to the jar. Once I did this, I started the car, and watch over it, occasionally changing the engine speed. It was interesting to see how much fuel was returned back into the jar! After about 25 minutes, the jar was all but drained. I re-connected the return line, and removed the temporary pick-up linen and re-connected the supply lines. Back to normal. I found the Diesel Purge locally at a German Car Repair shop. I had wondered about where to get it , then tried this shop that also had parts, and they stock all Lubro Moly, I am going to try the Hi-Test now