View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
If your Engine is still apart you should have an easy time setting the Pointer.
Ounce you are to the point where everthing is assembled but the Head is not one yet set Up a Dial Indicator over the #1 Piston and rotate it in the direction of rotation till it is just at top dead center. The Pointer that you replaced should point to Zero degrees. Which nicely is the same positon you want to install the Camshaft Gear.

I believe in the Manual to check the Pointer they have you useing the Dial Indicator going down though a Precombustion Chamber hole.
It will be much easier to do with out the head on and way easier to get the Dial Indicator mounted straight.
Indeed and then to set up the correct position for the tach sensor bracket you need to rotate the crankshaft by 20 degrees - which apparently is when #1 piston drops by 3.63mm from TDC...

This will be much easier when the head is off - otherwise you need to disconnect the valve spring from the first valve on #1 cylinder and rest it on top of the piston and measure the deflection of the valve stem to find TDC and then the 20 degree point... (according to the FSM)

Edit:-

For those of you trying to do this with the head on - make sure the piston is close to the top of the cylinder otherwise the valve will drop right in there! An easy way to check the position of the cylinder is to unscrew the glow plug and listen and feel air being pushed out of the cylinder as you rotate it (make sure you stop close to TDC when the air stops coming out - not when the air stops going in!)
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!