View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I miss my MBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffa98 View Post
We pulled into Portugal in 89ish. No tugs available till after 1500. Our capt paralell parked us using the out board.
We were tied up by1130.
That was a peice of work!

PS the Capt really wanted a beer
You might have just found the root cause =) the British boats bring beer with them - the crew of the HMS groundpounder had no reason NOT to run aground =)

Were you an S5W boat with a real outboard or the cheap imitation spm that the 688's got ?

We did Lisboa in 1997 IIRC - we parked across the river next door to some portugese hick-town (the targets got all the good berths near town)- still a neat place to visit if you get the chance

In some ways, a river is easier to park in - one current that always goes in one direction at a relatively contstant speed.

I was always in the engine room when it happened, but I remember one maneuvering watch brief that included the term "30 degrees of crab..." somewhere in long island sound...

...So, in non-mariner terms - whenever you get near a long shoreline, esp one with island nearby, the currents can change direction, or move very fast, which makes it easier to run your ship aground if you are just trying to hang out (if you are going somewhere, you'll make way and your rudder will be more effective at getting you out of trouble)

Being on a sub is a wonderful place to be from =)

-John
(insert Mercedes here)

Husband, Father, sometimes friend =)