View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 PM

She ('79 240D) has been shaking quite a bit lately: I am replacing all engine mounts

With engine at idle speed when cold, my beloved 240D has been shaking a lot.
On close inspection, I have become aware that the passenger side motor mount is completely shattered - it's metal to metal - and the front mount is also pretty much gone. So I have ordered all four mounts, just to be on the safe side once I get to work under the car.
Luckily enough the '79 240D with manual transmission does not feature the engine shock absorber, one less thing to worry about...

Yesterday the UPS guy knocked on my door and there was a little package. Here's what was inside:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mounts.JPG
Views:	1107
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	97409

On the top: the two SIDE MOTOR MOUNTS, aka front engine mounts in the FSM. They are identical.

Bottom left: the REAR ENGINE MOUNT, aka trasmission mount.

Bottom right: the FRONT MOUNT, aka engine stop in the FSM, aka front engine stop, aka t-strap mount, aka anti-torque mount. Different people give it different names ... after some initial panic and a bit of confusion, I was able to assign the various names they go by to each correctly so that I could confidently place my order.

Once I get the old ones out of the car, I'll post pictures so you can see the condition they are in.

First step is degreasing/pressure washing the engine and underneath the car, so as to be able to tell what's what and not get too dirty - will do that this Monday.
Then on Tuesday, hopefully, I will get down to business and replace them all.

I have the FSM and am following the procedures in 00-211, 00-212 and 00-215 to replace the mounts, and yes, I have already used the search function here as well, so I think I've got the whole thing pretty much down.
However, if anyone who has been there, done that, wants to contribute a few suggestions thought to be valuable, I'll definitely be more than glad to listen to your advice... this is my first time tackling this job and it seems sort of a big one, so it would be great to get all the help I can get.