View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 PM
95 E320 w124 Wagon

I had a loud clicking sound when it really got cold but also always wobbled regardless of the temp . Changed the cluster head, lubed the cable...nothing worked. But when I re-build the tranny, I figured I'd replace the speedo cable (I have a 95 e320 wagon) with the OEM GEMO (less than 40 bucks) cable. I immediately saw the issue with the bad cable so...in with the new. I fould it easier to work the new cable up from the bottom of the car versus starting from the inside of the car. With the a clear line to the transmision (still tilted down as the drive shaft was not attached yet) I was surprised I fiddled with it for a good 15-20 min to get the aluminum collar with the squared cable shaft seated all the way in to the transmission. There were times when I thought I was damaging the cable trying to get it to seat in correctly. The square shaft has to be aligned with the square "hole" in the transmission to slide in all the way. There was a few times I thought it was in right....boy I'm glad kept tying as it finally slid in about another 1/4" of an inch. Never thought it would be that tricky...or I'm just slow. Now the speedo is wobble and click free....smooth as butter.
Attached Thumbnails
Speedometer keeps clicking....-1245401468.jpg