View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber Adler View Post
I would like to know, Does the prechamber cup itself get hot enough once running to help support combustion? Or does the glow plug stay hot enough once a few combustion cycles are achieved.

I used to fly glow plug engined model airplanes. Once in while they would stop unexpectedly and sure enough the glow plug wire loop was not in the present in the glow plug. I know that the glow plug engines were not strictly diesels but they seemed to have some similarities in that they they were not spark ignition. Their fuels were perhaps more active with methanol and nitromethane. I could see why they were two strokes to keep things simple lightweight and keep the glow plug hot.
The Ball Pin certainly get hot enough to help with combustion; see red arrow.
I actually believe the location of the Ball Pin allows worn Injectors to still be functional once the Ball Pin heats up.

The other popular type of IDI precombustion Chamber is the Squish Chamber (Old VW Rabbit Engines). I focuses part of the Injector Spray against part of the Chamber Wall to do the same thing. However the Chamber Wall is against the Cylinder Head and it must remain a lot cooler than the Ball Pin does.

Anything that retains heat in the Precombustion Chamber must help with Comboustion. However, if the Injector spray gets too close to the Glow PLug it will burn through it.
Attached Thumbnails
IDI combustion theory ?-w-glow-plug-jan-13.jpg   IDI combustion theory ?-volvo-precombustion-chamber-jan-13.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel911; 01-19-2013 at 06:54 PM.