Thread: Firewall leak
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 AM

Firewall leak

Hello all,

I'm having trouble sourcing a leak inside my CD. When washing my car or driving in the rain, I'm getting a persistent leak aft of the glovebox. I've leak tested every drain and they seem to work fine. I've checked behind the battery and there was no corrosion to speak of. I think the leak is coming from the exterior of the firewall panel (scuttle panel) and not the fresh air vents. I directed my water hose right on that metal panel around the windshield wiper and sure enough water made its way into the cabin.

I removed this panel to find water sitting there underneath the wiper motor. Is there a drain here, and if so, how do I clear it? When pouring a cup of water down in this section of the firewall, it seemed to drain fine and I think the water drain right over the transmission. However, when there is more water than it can handle it backs into the passenger side footwell.

One other thing. Water gets into this section through the cut out just above the wiper nut. When I removed the panel there was foam underneath the whole perimeter of the panel, and there seemed to be missing foam that was lining the same cut out above the hole for the wiper motor.

Could this missing foam be the source of my problem? Does it hold back water just enough for proper draining?

Someone please help.