View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Predicting the President's next move in Syria

...is a very risky business, but let me try some general thoughts.
Some call the President "indecisive". I disagree. I have called many of his actions "amateurish". That, too may not be the right word, although I think it still applies, but is more a result than a cause.
I think the better word that describes his approach to almost everything is "Impulsive". That is not necessarily a "bad" word, but I think it tells much of his character.

Consider---
The Beer Summit---the result of a Presidential comment, made in haste, before he had all the facts available.
My son would look like Tevon---another comment by the President made hastily, before all the facts were known ( if they can ever be all known).
The Red line--an emotional response to the use of poison gas on civilians, and not a bad personal response for anyone--for anyone who is not President, and C in C of the US Military.

All three of these were impetuous responses, one might even say emotional responses. All of them show a care and concern for perceived injustices.

However, when the person making these responses is the one person whose comments really matter, the one person whose every word should display calm deliberation, they are not what the President should say.

How does this project into future actions in Syria, or elsewhere? Well, is it more likely that he will change this pattern of behavior, or continue in it? Add into your evaluation how much this President needs approval, craves to be well thought of.
I can't predict his next move, but I would bet it is yet another impetuous, emotional one.

What do you think?