View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Ham Shanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstl99 View Post
I'm still a bit new to the 300TD (first turbo MB I've owned, after owning a 240D for many years). Overall I'm quite pleased with its acceleration and keeping up with traffic, compared to the 240D. At times, the acceleration when the turbo kicks in is quite nice (I'm not hard to please, after having driven the slug for many years)...

Anyway, all seems fine in the city, on the freeway, on the highway.

But when I drive to my cottage and hit the last 10 miles, if often feels like I've lost most of the power. Those 10 miles are curvy, hilly, and half of that is hard-packed gravel. For most of it I can't build up a lot of speed. When I hit a rise, no matter if I floor it, the turbo doesn't seem to kick in, and often I have to downshift halfway up the hill in order not to lose too much speed when I reach the crest. It has no problem picking up speed on the down side of the hill. The slowing down problem is worse on the gravel portion of the winding road.

When I leave the cottage, once I'm back on the highway, the turbo acceleration returns.

Does this sound normal and just something I have to contend with? Is the hilly last 10 miles just not allowing enough revs for the turbo to kick in and provide its boost?

I should point out that I replaced both primary and secondary fuel filters, to no avail. Is there something else I should check? (valve adjustment, turbo)

Confused...
The turbo may not be spooling. Have you done any maintenance? Is the boost line from the back of the manifold to the ALDA clean on both ends?

It will slow down at low revs where you don't have the turbo spooled. What gear are you in when climbing? Maybe a downshift is what you need