View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolnerspieler View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I actually just started this job tonight and got as far as taking the vac pump off. Had to remove the radiator because onw of the allen bolts was stripped holidng the pump in place and I could not get it out without having to remove the radiator.

The question that I had was when timing the IP pump I wanted to make sure that I have everything correct. What is confusing me is that I have to bring the engine to the proper 15 degreees. There are 2 aspects to this. Point 1. What is logical to me is that the ration between the engine and the pump should be 2:1. Now how do I know which cylce is the injection cycle to set my pump to? I saw a couple of marks on the chain sprocket when you open the oil cap, but neither one is visible when I set the engine at 15 degrees. I wonder if the entire timing chain is timed correctly. Should there be a mark on a sprocket to let me know which 15 degrees is correct for the injection cycle.

Point 2: The timing is set at 15 degrees after TDC. When you looking at the flywheel which way is after TDC. Is it 15 degrees to the left of TDC or to the right of TDC?
What is causing the confusion is that for some reason Boach chose to use a spot on the Governor Weight Carrier (that is attached to the Fuel Injection Pump Camshaft) to reference the timing to that does not correspond with when the Fuel is actually Injected but because the Govern Weight Carrier is connected to the Fuel Injection Pump Camsaft Bosch calculated where that Tab on the Governor Weight Carrier should be when the Engine is at 15 Degrees After Top Dead Center (after the Compresion Stroke).

It might be easier white an example. On My 84 300D if you drip time it the timing is 24 Degrees Before top Dead Center (there is no spec for drip timing yor Fuel Injection Pump).

But, if I use the the same Timing methods as you are supposed to use for timing your fuel Injection Pump. With those Methods the timing for My Fuel Injection Pump is also 15 Degrees After Top Dead Center (that is after the compression Stroke on #1).
That is so because My Fuel Injection Pump also uses that spot on the Governor Weight Carrier to reference the timing.

In Your case you are supposed to use the A&B Light, RIV Method or the Timing Locking Pin.
Or you can try Funola's Timing Tool that He made.

I don't like the idea of "Eye Balling" the Timing Tab (Yellow Arrow) in the picture because I do not think it is accurate. However, it is close enough to get the Engine Running.

In the Diagram you see the Timing/Locking in locking onto the Governor Weight Carrier inside of the Fuel Injection Pump. It works that way on My Fuel Injection Pump as it does on yours.
The A&B Light and the RIV Method also use that same High Tab on the Governor Weight to reference the timing.

Some of our Members rent out the Timing Locking Pin.
Tool Rental List
Tool Rental Master Member List - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
Attached Thumbnails
OM606 Injection timing-fuel-injection-pump-timing-hole-jul-14.jpg   OM606 Injection timing-locking-timing-pin-pump-diagram-jul-14.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel911; 07-16-2014 at 02:41 AM.