View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 Super D View Post
How could I not have the pin installed correctly? It screws in all the way and the slot is horizontal. ?

This is very confusing to me. Why have the locking tool if it isnt holding the teeth in the correct place? I mean, why make it that way?
It is also tough for me to suggest that.

But, I am not their to see exactly what you are doing.
Also while I have a Timing Locking Pin and have used it I don't remember what the line up marks look like and I don't have a spare Fuel Injection pump that the Tool Fits on to try it and see if mine would look the same.

I had about 2 years of Diesel Mechanic Trade School and earned a living at that for 18 years. And Yes there were times when I made mistakes and I have also see others with more experience than me make mistakes so I never discount that I could have made a mistake; especially when I am learning a new proceedure.

When you are first learning something you can make mistakes and the same if you are rushed or destracted by other stuff in your life or as you said when you don't understand.

Germans think differently they we do.

So in this they have several timing methods that use 24 Degrees before TDC and several timing devices that use that Port on the Governor Housing that 15 degrees after top dead center on the compression Stroke as the spot to time it.

I have attached the real instructions and that may clear it up or may not. Note that instrction #1 does not caution you to make sure you come up on the compression Stroke and then go on to 15 degrees after top dead center. The Mercedes Service Manual was made for trained Mechanics and I guess you are expected to know the details.

On the bottom of the fist page is a pic showing that the timing marks on the front of the Fuel Injection Pump are not lined up when the tool is used. However, the Picture is too dark to show details as to just how many teeth are past the mark when the tool is installed properly

Last edited by Diesel911; 06-13-2015 at 07:04 PM.