View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Diesel Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Not too long ago another forum member posted the PDF I attached below. You might find it helpful.
Thanks, that is illuminating! Sadly, no Mobil 1 testing. I also wish they would identify which base stock each uses, I'll bet the expensive synthetic oils are using the Group V base stock. One has to read this carefully, as early in the article the (correct) point is made that how an oil actually performs in your engine is not completely knowable based on virgin oil samples. In other words, the tests give some great info, but actual performance predictions are best made using actual performance results [in YOUR engine, I might add].

Later in the article the analysis guy seems to make very firm decisions based on the results. Although I agree with most of his conclusions, he doesn't repeat his qualification that actual performance depends on other factors that are not necessarily measurable or knowable (existing engine wear, quality of fuel, driver style/habits, environment, quality of maintenance, variation in engine part manufacturing, etc. etc. etc).
'87 124.193 (300TD) "White Whale", ~392k miles, 3.5l IP fitted
'95 124.131 (E300) "Sapphire", 380k miles
'73 Balboa 20 "Sanctification"
Charleston SC