View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxbumpo View Post
That is a strong possibility. Even if you were clean clean clean during the install, there may have been dirt (casting material) and machining waste left over from the manufacturing inside the vacuum pump. That could easily skew the results.

I say sample again at normal interval, and watch the trend.

What did the oil sample before this say (if you have one)? If this is your first ever sample on this engine, you have no baseline reference. This sample would be a terrible baseline to start with, but you need to start somewhere.

If you recently switched from one brand of oil to another, the new oil may have better cleaning properties than the old, and now it is cleaning out some deposits, and THAT can make your results worse than normal as well.

Bottom line: Now you have some objective information, and you can take actions (or not) based on that info. Realize that ANY oil you use now, which is diesel rated, is a far better oil than what was available when these cars were designed and built.
I just unboxed the pump and installed it without cleaning.

No oil sample before this -- I bought the car and changed it over to synthetic (it had always been run on conventional by the PO, who took short, infrequent trips in it)

What is a "normal" interval? I thought 5000 miles was the recommended OCI per the owners manual...

Garage:

2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel (nanny state emissions)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 77k
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300D turbodiesel, 4 sp auto, 156k - 28.7 mpg
1996 Tracker 4x4, 2 door, 16v, 3 sp auto. 113k - 28.6 mpg

WARNING: this post may contain dangerous free thinking.