Thread: Non Ethanol gas
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain V. View Post
I've been a mechanic since 1981 and see the results of using e10 garbage fuel all the time on earlier gen vehicles.

People keep using that trash in their 1950s- 1980s mercs and it is job security for me.

I don't let that shyte anywhere near any of my vehicles.
I remember when E10 was first used. It was in the later 80's.

Chrysler was the first to publish anything about a problem because the seals in their carbs was not made to withstand E and suddenly everyone with an older Dodge was needing their carb rebuilt.

So the oil companies went to MBTE which didn't eat up the older rubber but was found to destroy groundwater supplies.

So back to the E they went. And owners of older cars?

BEWARE! Some cars can take it and some can't.

And Mercedes don't seem to have a problem with it. And while this is just a guess on my part I think that might have to do with the worldwide market Mercedes has. Some places in the world have very low octane gas and owners juice it up with homemade brew.

This may not be common now but I have seen it with my own eyes back in the 60's. If is it carbon based it can be turned into fuel and some of it is very unfriendly to Buna-n. So Mercedes were built to take what their third world owners could throw at them.