View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
I found a thin-wall socket at Northern Tool and ground flats on it so I could turn it with an open-end wrench.
Thank you! Will look into that, their brand, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
Do you get more clearance if the wheels are unweighted hanging down? How about turning the wheels to one side?
Thank you for the help!

Big issue is the driveline is out, plus the spindles off. Tried jacking, but not really any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgt View Post
I'm assuming w123? I just did this job on my car. It's not a spline socket, just a 12 point socket. I removed the top nut and used a ratchet strap to compress the shock, then you can swing it to the side and remove the lower bolts.

To install the new one I played the same game with the ratchet straps to get it in place. I was going to take pictures of the process, but had my right arm in a sling... At least that shows it shouldn't be too hard a job.
Thank you for this fantastic idea!

This would have been the ticket for one side. But, didn't get it in time... Though, might work for something else or in the future or the other side where the top broke off (almost taking out my man parts).

You were very lucky and had original Mercedes hex bolts. Look in the paper F.S.M. and you will see them. However, Bilstein uses a 12 point spline like the flywheel bolts. However, found unlike hex heads, you can use pliers and grab one spine at a time and turn out a bolt where on a hex you need more room and only have six or 12 flats. What think be the best is hex socket bolt, as can come in from the top and not the difficult sides.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.