View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Back then no perimeter drains leading to a sump pump or lower elevation where probably common. I am well out of my depth but it might also be a very wet basement seasonally.

You noted things in the basement were elevated as well and this is another probable indication. Fixable if true but cost depends on several unknown factors presently.

As a general rule you do not want to live with a really wet basement even if only seasonably. Breaking the floor and bringing it up to better conditions. Will have to include waterproofing the walls. This can be done internally today. It may even be cheaper and easier to do it externally.

Also this is not southern France I think. Or I may have my European geography wrong in my mind. Totally uninsulated may not be the best ideal. Could be cold as a witches tit if you can excuse the old expression.

What is the current heating system? Electrical resistance or heat pump as north America was very slow to adopt heat pumps. To me this always reeked like not allowing diesel cars into north America. Europe was flooded with them when we had essentially none. You stated the chimney was closed.

The mold in that second floor room could just be the door was kept closed during cold weather to conserve heat. Your local home inspector type there may be the best guide. I assume the price is right so there may be some room to deal with a few things. Old windows are also seldom tight.

On the other hand I may be overdoing it. If the attic shows no signs of insulation I would almost have to conclude the temperature where this house is seldom drops really low. Based on the common knowledge that so much heat escapes through our ceilings it is usually done if the need if there. Either in a retrofit or otherwise.

Also electrically if any indication is there a rework is needed unless the wires are surface run could get expensive. I would like to see a good home inspector type of persons report posted just out of curiosity. Then if the plumbing is original may also have to bear a serious examination.

Not being negative at all. All these things have to be considerations.

Incidentally it was nice of you to post this. Unfortunatly I am unfamiliar with the general situation there. Structurally the place is probably strong to bear the weight of a tile roof though.

I keep getting this feeling that the place must be located in a fairly moderate climate. Yet I think there is snow in your current country each year that is nearby.

In any event I hope your mother lands up happy in a new location. France from all I have heard is a very desirable country to live in.