View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 08:47 PM

Jim, thanks for your input. I wish I could say what happens with the tach but, to be honest, when it happens it's so quick all I really know "for sure" is the dash lights illuminate briefly and the car "bogs down" for a moment. I'll try to see what happens with the tach...although, given the interconnected nature of all the electronic parts of this car, wouldn't an interruption in fuel trigger it to shut down such that the tach would fall to zero? I have to say, I don't recall seeing the tach or speedometer "bounce" back to life, so maybe they don't drop to zero.... I know they do fall to zero when the car has stalled at a light, and a key cycle is needed to restart the car in that instance, but not when it's moving. When it's moving, it starts up again "on its own." I, too, am surprised by the lack of a code. I plan to be more involved with the tech's diagnosis this time around; last time I didn't ask them too many questions since it seemed they had identified the failing fuel pump as the cause.

PARTSHOOT1, thanks for the info. I've had this car since it came off lease. I'm familiar with the issues of the M272, including the balance shaft problem. I have to say that the dealership here in Austin has been exemplary in helping me address issues that have come up in this car, some of the time under warranty or, occasionally, with a portion of the cost to me goodwilled by MB. Aside from an issue with an intake flap failing, requiring replacement of the intake, and a failure of a sensor in the valve body causing the car to sometimes stick in first gear, this thing has been rock solid reliable for my wife and kids. I really don't want to get rid of it. When I got it in '08, I thought it had too many electronic features. Ha! The loaner we had last week was like a computer with wheels.
'85 Mercedes 300SD (smoke silver/burgundy)
'79 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

'05 Toyota Camry (because always running is nice)

'85 Mercedes 300D sold back to orig. owner 8-1-06
'84 Volvo 264GL Diesel, owned 2000-2013