View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123boy View Post
Shortly after bringing home (a few months ago) my '83 240D, with 200K+ miles, I had the fateful and famous "key stuck/won't turn" ignition tumbler problem. Thanks to this forum I was able to "free up" the key (using vibration only, NOT a bunch of messy lubes, oils and graphite) and follow the procedure to remove the old tumbler and install a new one. So far so good....trim ring and security ring off, worn out tumbler removed, new tumbler ("Febi" from Pelican) ready to install.
So, here's my problem. I've read, on these forums, the ignition switch can also contribute to problems with smooth key function/steering lock malfunction and NOT just the tumbler. My thought was to place the tumbler, only, into the ignition switch and see how everything functioned (not put the security ring and trim rings back in place) and if all was good, assemble it all back together. Did that, and seemed to work "ok"....not perfect. Some minor key "jiggling" still required, but no problems with stuck key, etc. I'm assuming the ignition switch isn't far behind the tumbler, as far as failing is concerned, so gonna change that, too. Well, now the tumbler won't come out of the ignition switch. The security ring is NOT installed. What could be holding the tumbler in? When I initially disassembled it, after removing the security ring, the tumbler just "fell out", pretty much. Assumed that would be the case while trying the new tumbler without the security ring....obviously mistaken.
This really isn't a "super huge deal", the car starts and shuts off fine. The steering lock engages and disengages and everything works fairly well. I'm not gonna install the security ring or trim rings so I can pull the ignition switch assembly if need be. (have a new one waiting in the wings). New key goes in and out of the tumbler no problem. Have original key to lock doors, no problem.
Just wondered why the tumbler won't pop out of the ignition switch (like it did initially)? What grabbed onto it when I put the new tumbler in and why wasn't that same force holding the "old" tumbler in?
In order to get out the original ignition switch did you have to turn it into a specific position and stick a wire into a hole in order to get it out or did it just fall to pieces and you did not have to do that?