View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Dieseldiehard

Hi, Henry long time no hear.
I use Howard Radiator, just down the street from you. They have always been fair and don't replace a lot of hose fittings that some AC places like to do to justify charging more$$ They recharged my '87 and its still blowing cold despite the minute leak they thought they found around the compressor. The leak detectors they use are very sensitive and any breeze will make it more difficult to pinpoint the source of a Freon leak, and it was very windy the day they worked on my car last April.
Whatever you do, stay with R12.

The problem with the Nippondenso compressors is the possibility of black death, a syndrome that has something to do with the teflon coating on the compressor blades, when it chemically reacts with refrigerant under some conditions, I suspect it is when moisture gets into the system but can't be sure. Anyhow you want to hope that hasn't occurred because if it has the system has to be partially disassembled to properly flush it out.
Most people I know say stay away from the Delco rebuilds, unfortunately the cost of a new Nipp is way high if and when available. Most people I have heard use rebuilt.

BTW you need to have the VIN# before ordering a compressor because these come with 4.75 and 5.0 in dia pulleys. My source sells a rebuilt for $449, about twice what I paid for a new Delco!
I wish MB hadn't gone the route they did on these compressors.
DDH