View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 05:57 AM

Peter,
For my '87 300TD it was similar to what Craig said when removing the motor/regulator. After the interior panel was off, I removed the (think it was five) bolts using a 10mm socket. Please remember to mark the bolt location on where it passes through the elongated hole. I didn't do that and it made re-installation a little more difficult since that appears to be the adjustment for the inward/outward tilt of the window. Of course you want to disconnect the four-wire harness also in order to allow the motor removal. The above allowed the entire unit, including glass, to be lowered enough to gain access to the final bolt which passes through the metal regulator attachment into the frame at the bottom of the glass. From there, you will see that you will need to raise the window manually, either tape it to the top of the door with duct tape or as I did, have a wooden stake about two feet long ready to prop the window once you twist and turn the motor/regulator out of the opening. The first time I used the tape method and the second the wood. I didn't want to have to clean the tape residue again.

I don't know what type of problem you are having to solve but if you separate the motor from the regulator arms via the three bolts passing into the side of the motor you can usually unbind a stuck motor/regulator. Once that is done, you can remove the two bolts and pull the motor away from the regulator unit. I found mine to be filled with rust, moisture and no real amount of grease. As you know, a couple of test leads and a battery will allow you to test the motor forward and backward. If all seems good, you can stuff grease (I used syn moly however someone later suggested marine type) into the hole, re-secure the boot seal, reattach the motor and using the leads and battery again, work the heck out of the combination to get the grease distributed.
Steve
'77 VW Type II - 77K - Restored
'08 250EX Ninja
English Bulldog (Brier) - My best friend. Passed away 12/02/04 while in my arms.