Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-14-2005, 01:58 PM
linguica's Avatar
Oh yeah....wicked!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 134
cold feet!

Well it was down in the 20's this morning, and one of those "only in cold weather problems" came up. I have plenty of heat in the car...problem is it only comes out of the 2 side vents in the dash or the defroster. Nothing in the center vents or the floor vents. Any suggestions(besides wearing warmer shoes)?

Mark

__________________
85 300D (California) 220k
03 Silverado 1500 Xcab Z-71 Guzzler 90k Real American steel(made in Canada)
03 Suburban 1500 4x2 Guzzler 170k Real American steel(made in Mexico)
Diamondback hybrid
Element skateboard(mileage unknown)

Good news for diesel owners...There's no such thing as cold...only the absence of heat!

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be Happy." Benjamin Franklin

"Possession....the King of sin." The Avett Brothers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It is not designed to give heat through the center vents, however you should be able to get heat through the floor vents. Do you get heat to the floor when you push the 2nd button (with the up and down arrows)?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,350
If there's no footwell heat when not on defrost, then it's probably a bad vacuum pod on the footwell vent actuator. It's just to the right of the accelerator pedal. When it comes to pod replacement, it's a pretty easy one. Check with a Mity Vac.
A while back I wrote up the instructions on how to replace it. The pod is attached with a bayonet type fitting. Search on my name and footwell pod and the instructions should come up.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:00 PM
linguica's Avatar
Oh yeah....wicked!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
It is not designed to give heat through the center vents, however you should be able to get heat through the floor vents. Do you get heat to the floor when you push the 2nd button (with the up and down arrows)?
I only get heat through the 2 side dash vents when the 2nd button is pushed..nothing on the floor
__________________
85 300D (California) 220k
03 Silverado 1500 Xcab Z-71 Guzzler 90k Real American steel(made in Canada)
03 Suburban 1500 4x2 Guzzler 170k Real American steel(made in Mexico)
Diamondback hybrid
Element skateboard(mileage unknown)

Good news for diesel owners...There's no such thing as cold...only the absence of heat!

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be Happy." Benjamin Franklin

"Possession....the King of sin." The Avett Brothers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguica
I only get heat through the 2 side dash vents when the 2nd button is pushed..nothing on the floor
I agree, it sounds like a vacuum pod.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:17 PM
linguica's Avatar
Oh yeah....wicked!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards
If there's no footwell heat when not on defrost, then it's probably a bad vacuum pod on the footwell vent actuator. It's just to the right of the accelerator pedal. When it comes to pod replacement, it's a pretty easy one. Check with a Mity Vac.
A while back I wrote up the instructions on how to replace it. The pod is attached with a bayonet type fitting. Search on my name and footwell pod and the instructions should come up.
I found your old thread on this.

footwell vent pod rebuild tricks?

Sounds great. I will get the rebuild kit and try it out. Thanks for the help!
__________________
85 300D (California) 220k
03 Silverado 1500 Xcab Z-71 Guzzler 90k Real American steel(made in Canada)
03 Suburban 1500 4x2 Guzzler 170k Real American steel(made in Mexico)
Diamondback hybrid
Element skateboard(mileage unknown)

Good news for diesel owners...There's no such thing as cold...only the absence of heat!

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be Happy." Benjamin Franklin

"Possession....the King of sin." The Avett Brothers
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 PM
ck42's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holly Springs, GA
Posts: 871
Having the same problem here.

I'm wondering if it might be easier to just 'rig' the vent flap to stay open all the time....at least during the cold season.
Any thoughts on taken this route? Is it even possible?
__________________
Chris
1985 300SD - 'Grace' (198K mi.)
2018 Honda Civic Sport
2018 Honda CRV LX
2010 Honda Fit Sport (RIP)
2013 Honda Accord Sport (Sold)
1996 Lexus LS400 (Retired)
1995 Ford Contour SE (Retired)
1976 Porsche 914 (Sold)
1972 Datsun 240Z (RIP)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:35 PM
phidauex's Avatar
BioDiesel Hopeful
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 806
Before you go replacing parts, do some more testing...

I've got the same problem, no heat from floor vents under any situation. I thought it was the vent actuator for the floor vents, but when I tested it, it turned out it was fine! I did however, find a leaking pod, the recirculation/fresh pod. When I disconnected that pod and plugged its line, the floor vents worked!

Get thee a mityvac, and test all the pods you can. when you connect the mityvac to the pod, and pull a vacuum, it should activate, and make something happen. If it looses its vacuum, or doesn't do anything, it has a ripped diaphram, and needs to be rebuilt.

So pull the two kickplates, which should give you access to four of the five pods, the floor vent pod and the defrost pod which are on the driver's side, and the recirc/fresh pod and the main air pod, which are on the passenger side. The center vent pod is a little more hidden, but should be accessible without removing the dash.

You should also test the changeover valves to make sure they are actually changing over. Print out a copy of the Heater/AC Vacuum diagram in the Vacuum Diagrams sticky post in this forum, it shows the vacuum layout, with rough physical positions, and will be a big help.

good luck!

peace,
sam
__________________
"That f***in' biodiesel is makin' me hungry."

1982 300TD Astral Silver w/ 250k (BIO BNZ)
2001 Aprilia SR50 Corsa Red w/ 5.5k (>100 MPG)

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 PM
linguica's Avatar
Oh yeah....wicked!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex
Before you go replacing parts, do some more testing...

I've got the same problem, no heat from floor vents under any situation. I thought it was the vent actuator for the floor vents, but when I tested it, it turned out it was fine! I did however, find a leaking pod, the recirculation/fresh pod. When I disconnected that pod and plugged its line, the floor vents worked!

Get thee a mityvac, and test all the pods you can. when you connect the mityvac to the pod, and pull a vacuum, it should activate, and make something happen. If it looses its vacuum, or doesn't do anything, it has a ripped diaphram, and needs to be rebuilt.

So pull the two kickplates, which should give you access to four of the five pods, the floor vent pod and the defrost pod which are on the driver's side, and the recirc/fresh pod and the main air pod, which are on the passenger side. The center vent pod is a little more hidden, but should be accessible without removing the dash.

You should also test the changeover valves to make sure they are actually changing over. Print out a copy of the Heater/AC Vacuum diagram in the Vacuum Diagrams sticky post in this forum, it shows the vacuum layout, with rough physical positions, and will be a big help.

good luck!

peace,
sam

That sounds great! Thanks for the help. What's a mityvac...where do I get one?
__________________
85 300D (California) 220k
03 Silverado 1500 Xcab Z-71 Guzzler 90k Real American steel(made in Canada)
03 Suburban 1500 4x2 Guzzler 170k Real American steel(made in Mexico)
Diamondback hybrid
Element skateboard(mileage unknown)

Good news for diesel owners...There's no such thing as cold...only the absence of heat!

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be Happy." Benjamin Franklin

"Possession....the King of sin." The Avett Brothers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Biodiesel300TD's Avatar
|3iodiesel300T|)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 4,845
My mityvac came from harbor freight and it works great.
__________________
Andrew
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon
'82 300TD ~ Winnie ~ Sold
'77 300D ~ Sold
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Stressed Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida Big Bend region
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck42
Having the same problem here.

I'm wondering if it might be easier to just 'rig' the vent flap to stay open all the time....at least during the cold season.
Any thoughts on taken this route? Is it even possible?
Yes, it's possible. I've seen it done by entirely removing the vacuum pod for the footwell vents and plugging that vacuum line. In that particular case, a cable tie had been attached to the lever for the footwell vents to make it easy to manually open or close those vents.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 17,386
mityvac, MB diesel owners hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguica
That sounds great! Thanks for the help. What's a mityvac...where do I get one?
mityvac, MB diesel owners hero.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?p=768686&posted=1#post768686
__________________
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70
2002 Honda Civic

https://www.boldegoist.com/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-14-2005, 11:38 PM
ck42's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holly Springs, GA
Posts: 871
eskimo....thnx. Until the weather warms up and is a little more DIY comfortable...I'll probably just rig the flap to stay open.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 121
how about a 124 (92 300d 2.5)

i've got no foot heat. on my old wagon, it was a fairly easy fix. i haven't even looked to see if it is the same set up. is it?

david
__________________
newfane, vt
84 300td 223k modified greasel conversion (sold)
92 300d 2.5 185k with frybrid kit
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-2007, 12:49 AM
linguica's Avatar
Oh yeah....wicked!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 134
quick fix

Never did get around to replacing the diaphram, but it still managed to finally get cold out this month. At lunchtime I pulled the vac. line off the footwell pod and stuck a golf tee w/ teflon tape in it. I flipped the linkage open by hand, and whatevers left of the diaphram holds it in place nicely. I got back to work and I could feel all 10 toes!

__________________
85 300D (California) 220k
03 Silverado 1500 Xcab Z-71 Guzzler 90k Real American steel(made in Canada)
03 Suburban 1500 4x2 Guzzler 170k Real American steel(made in Mexico)
Diamondback hybrid
Element skateboard(mileage unknown)

Good news for diesel owners...There's no such thing as cold...only the absence of heat!

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be Happy." Benjamin Franklin

"Possession....the King of sin." The Avett Brothers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page