Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 644
Check This Thing Out, 1:45 left

No, this isn't my auction but since I can't afford it I thought I would pass it along to anybody who's interested. It's a 2.1L Renault Diesel FACTORY Jeep Cherokee.

The guy says it gets 37mpg highway.....

Why aren't there more cars like this available to us!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150398913292&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_2743wt_1165

__________________
1993 W124 300D
-297K on the clock as I type this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM
truckinik's Avatar
And I only had one lesson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clearwater Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,022
What do you mean? It is available to us. Which ever guy wants it most will win the bidding.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM
4x4_Welder's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-osprey View Post

Why aren't there more cars like this available to us!?!
Mostly because no matter how much you talk it up, it's still a Renault engine. Brought to you by the same marriage made in hell that brought you the Eagle Premier. Build quality by Chrysler, wiring by AMC, and component fitment and accessibility by Renault.
The XJs were a great concept, but poorly executed, and God help you if you need to work on anything under the dash or in the engine compartment.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinik View Post
What do you mean? It is available to us. Which ever guy wants it most will win the bidding.
Touche, I guess...
__________________
1993 W124 300D
-297K on the clock as I type this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder View Post
Mostly because no matter how much you talk it up, it's still a Renault engine. Brought to you by the same marriage made in hell that brought you the Eagle Premier. Build quality by Chrysler, wiring by AMC, and component fitment and accessibility by Renault.
The XJs were a great concept, but poorly executed, and God help you if you need to work on anything under the dash or in the engine compartment.
Do you mean that it's very tight in the engine compartment?

I had a '98 XJ with the 4.0 straight six and it was easy to work on.

However, it didn't have a turbo like this one does.
__________________
1993 W124 300D
-297K on the clock as I type this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder View Post
Brought to you by the same marriage made in hell that brought you the Eagle Premier. Build quality by Chrysler, wiring by AMC, and component fitment and accessibility by Renault.
Chrysler would have had no involvement in the "build quality" of a Renault-powered Cherokee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder View Post
The XJs were a great concept, but poorly executed, and God help you if you need to work on anything under the dash or in the engine compartment.
I own an '88 Cherokee which I bought in '87. It has required far less maintenance than my '82 300D, which has essentially the same mileage. I don't find it to be particularly difficult to work on.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 644
It just sold for $5601.
__________________
1993 W124 300D
-297K on the clock as I type this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-29-2009, 12:07 AM
general nuisance
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: des moines, ia
Posts: 394
I'm not surprised it brought that much, these are few and far between. I passed on one about 10 years ago for $2500 and it was in really good shape. The engine is decent but it has a timing belt that became I believe the achiles heal of most of these. No one remembers to replace it and even this seller didn't mention that it had been replaced although with all the work that's been done on that engine I believe it likely has.

There was also one for sale out in WA last year sometime I think but when I got to questioning the owner he finally admitted that it wasn't running because the timing belt broke.

I think personally the Peugeot 2.5TD would have been a better candidate for the Cherokee, especially the intercooled version we never got in the states. Then again Peugeot didn't have a relationship with Chrysler so it makes no difference.

At any rate, someone must have wanted it awfully bad, the price is more than I would have paid for it...and it's in my back yard too.

steve a
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-29-2009, 12:30 AM
seanarcher's Avatar
VALUE ADDED DATA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: spacecoast
Posts: 138
I own an '88 Cherokee which I bought in '87. It has required far less maintenance than my '82 300D, which has essentially the same mileage. I don't find it to be particularly difficult to work on.[/QUOTE]

if you are looking for gratification on owning another make of a vehicle i suggest looking elsewhere.I have thought of putting a 617 engine in a jeep or an explorer.because the engine are cheap and easy to find and they are easier to fit into when you are nearly seven feet tall.even though i like my w123 ,sitting in a vehicle with your eyelevel at the top of the window isnt fun for long.if that jeep has a timing belt I will steer clear.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
truckinik's Avatar
And I only had one lesson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clearwater Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,022
Yes, but you can stick a small block Chevy into just about anything. It will be fun, reliable, and extremely simple to work on as a result. Sorry guys, I'm just so into these old school Chevys. I haven't liked anything GM, since the mid 90's. It's just that they were so good mechanically, up to that point, that I have to keep mentioning them. I'd happily put one in just about anything with atleast two wheels under it, and be able to get the same great results everytime..
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenlloyd View Post
I'm not surprised it brought that much, these are few and far between. I passed on one about 10 years ago for $2500 and it was in really good shape. The engine is decent but it has a timing belt that became I believe the achiles heal of most of these. No one remembers to replace it and even this seller didn't mention that it had been replaced although with all the work that's been done on that engine I believe it likely has.

There was also one for sale out in WA last year sometime I think but when I got to questioning the owner he finally admitted that it wasn't running because the timing belt broke.

I think personally the Peugeot 2.5TD would have been a better candidate for the Cherokee, especially the intercooled version we never got in the states. Then again Peugeot didn't have a relationship with Chrysler so it makes no difference.

At any rate, someone must have wanted it awfully bad, the price is more than I would have paid for it...and it's in my back yard too.

steve a
I thought he did mention it but he also mentioned that he had the head either replaced or rebuilt.

He said the lower end had also been rebuilt at some point so the engine as a whole has fewer miles on it than the stated 228K.
__________________
1993 W124 300D
-297K on the clock as I type this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 AM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder View Post
Mostly because no matter how much you talk it up, it's still a Renault engine. Brought to you by the same marriage made in hell that brought you the Eagle Premier. Build quality by Chrysler, wiring by AMC, and component fitment and accessibility by Renault.
The XJs were a great concept, but poorly executed, and God help you if you need to work on anything under the dash or in the engine compartment.
Hey now the Eagle Premier was a fairly decent car when all of the electronics worked
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 AM
truckinik's Avatar
And I only had one lesson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clearwater Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Hey now the Eagle Premier was a fairly decent car when all of the electronics worked
So were Pintos, Mustang II's , AMC Pacers, and Gremlins. As long as you either didn't get hit in the rear, or slam a door shut with all the windows closed. Oh yeah, or have a Mad St. Bernard trying to kill you on a hot summer day...
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanarcher View Post

if you are looking for gratification on owning another make of a vehicle i suggest looking elsewhere.
Perhaps you are not aware of it, but there were a few years when Jeep Cherokees and MB's were both being manufactured by the very same company. Evidently, Daimler was so impressed with Chrysler that they bought the company!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM
truckinik's Avatar
And I only had one lesson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clearwater Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Perhaps you are not aware of it, but there were a few years when Jeep Cherokees and MB's were both being manufactured by the very same company. Evidently, Daimler was so impressed with Chrysler that they bought the company!!!
True, and in the process of partnering up with Chrysler, they saved Chrysler's a$$ from completely going out of business at the time. Much of the details of a lot of Chrysler vehicles are the same as Mercedes, or are direct Mercedes components. The Jeep liberty, the newest Cherokee, and the Dodge Nitro, all have the 3.7 litre Mercedes engine and tranny in them to this day, even though Mercedes dumped Chrysler a few years back.

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page