Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 80
Injector Pop Testing Question (Video)

Hey all,

I finally got around to building my injector pop tester. I may be using it wrong, so any input would be appreciated! The injector seems to begin "popping" around 400 PSI or so, and loses its pressure.

http://youtu.be/hq5H-C-g8Bs

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,492
For one thing, a liquid-filled gauge is not the best option for pressure testing. Its response time is too slow.
__________________
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
For one thing, a liquid-filled gauge is not the best option for pressure testing. Its response time is too slow.
I was told to only use the glycerin filled gauge. My spray pattern looks good but the pressures seem off. I may give a non-liquid filled gauge a try also.

Anyone else have experience with pop testing?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2014, 01:25 AM
mach4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego County, CA
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300SD90 View Post
I was told to only use the glycerin filled gauge. My spray pattern looks good but the pressures seem off. I may give a non-liquid filled gauge a try also.

Anyone else have experience with pop testing?
I use a glycerine filled gauge. It just dampens the response a bit so you get a more representative reading.

From what I can see it appears to be working as expected. Your popping is more pronounced than what I get, but I think that's just higher flow with yours. Are you popping injectors with new nozzles or just checking your existing injectors as they came out of the car? What are your readings across all injectors?
__________________
Current Stable
  • 380SL (diesel)
  • Corvette C5
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300SD90 View Post
Hey all,

I finally got around to building my injector pop tester. I may be using it wrong, so any input would be appreciated! The injector seems to begin "popping" around 400 PSI or so, and loses its pressure.

W126 Injector Pop Testing - YouTube

Thanks!
I did not watch the video but 400psi is too low. Turbo injector opens at 135 bar or 1958psi. Non turbo at 115bar or 1667psi. They are way off or you read it wrong. Cannot see anything wrong with liquid-filled gauges.
__________________
Not MBZ nor A/C trained professional but a die-hard DIY and green engineer. Use the info at your own peril. Picked up 2 Infractions because of disagreements. NOW reversed.

W124 Keyless remote, PM for details. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/334620-fs-w124-chasis-keyless-remote-%2450-shipped.html

2 x 87 300SDL
1 x 87 300D
1 x 87 300TDT wagon
1 x 83 300D
1 x 84 190D ( 5 sp ) - All R134 converted + keyless entry.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2014, 04:16 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Posts: 286
I thought you might have meant it was 400 psi low until i watched the video and saw it chatter around 400.

How was the car running? and did you check your 0 to 60 before you pulled them?
__________________
"NEW" 1984 300D TD needs some love
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach4 View Post
I use a glycerine filled gauge. It just dampens the response a bit so you get a more representative reading.
Not sure what, exactly, is being "represented." Except that it's not reality.

I suspect that you won't find a professional injector tester that uses a damped pressure gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah-kay View Post
Cannot see anything wrong with liquid-filled gauges.
Can you show me a single, professional-grade injector tester that utilizes a damped gauge? Bosch? Bacharach?
__________________
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

Last edited by tangofox007; 03-26-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Can you show me a single, professional-grade injector tester that utilizes a damped gauge? Bosch? Bacharach?
Here we go again. It is wasting my time to response. I thought you are far better poster after a long period of hiatus.
__________________
Not MBZ nor A/C trained professional but a die-hard DIY and green engineer. Use the info at your own peril. Picked up 2 Infractions because of disagreements. NOW reversed.

W124 Keyless remote, PM for details. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/334620-fs-w124-chasis-keyless-remote-%2450-shipped.html

2 x 87 300SDL
1 x 87 300D
1 x 87 300TDT wagon
1 x 83 300D
1 x 84 190D ( 5 sp ) - All R134 converted + keyless entry.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 AM
mach4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego County, CA
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Can you show me a single, professional-grade injector tester that utilizes a damped gauge? Bosch? Bacharach?
Last time I checked this was a DIY-focused forum. If we all had access to professional-grade tools and instruments, we'd probably be in the business and have access to professional-grade documentation...though I'd argue that the forums are likely even better in many respects.

Regarding pop testers, if I felt I needed accuracy to +/- 1 psi on a pop tester, I'd buy a $5000 digital unit with integral printer, 16" screen and a .5 micron filter assembly and automatic popping and digital recording of each pop in super slo-mo, rather than building one. I can live with a lot less accuracy and bells and whistles and only have $21.47 invested...and you know what? The car runs perfectly, and has for the last 30k miles since I last popped my injectors.

I kind of like my HF tools, too... and my swap meet tools and my Craigs List equipment. And I kind of like making my own tools and solving problems without investing a fortune.

If you want a dry gauge, go for it...
__________________
Current Stable
  • 380SL (diesel)
  • Corvette C5
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,148
your popping appears to be around 135 bar... I don't know where you are seeing 400psi pop... it's over 1500psi... hard to tell exactly, as the needle is very slow to respond, but it's certainly not 400 psi...
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
eatont9999's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,948
This little unit has a liquid filled gauge:

Caterpillar Cat 1U6661 Pop Injector Tester w Cart Used | eBay
__________________
1991 F250 super-cab 7.3 IDI. (rebuilt by me) Banks Sidewinder turbo, hydroboost brakes, new IP and injectors.
2003 S430 - 107K
1983 300SD - Tanoshii - mostly restored ~400K+.
1983 300SD - Good interior. Engine finally tamed ~250K.
Monark Nozzle Install Video - http://tinyurl.com/ptd2tge
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,148
also, the liquid level in the gauge makes it hard to read the pop pressure... but it's sitting stable around 1000 psi... it only pops as you pump it over 1500...
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 PM
mach4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego County, CA
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatont9999 View Post
This little unit has a liquid filled gauge:

Caterpillar Cat 1U6661 Pop Injector Tester w Cart Used | eBay
You make a great point!

For future reference, once the eBay ad expires...



Attached Thumbnails
Injector Pop Testing Question (Video)-pop-3.jpg   Injector Pop Testing Question (Video)-pop-4.jpg  
__________________
Current Stable
  • 380SL (diesel)
  • Corvette C5
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach4 View Post
Last time I checked this was a DIY-focused forum. If we all had access to professional-grade tools and instruments, we'd probably be in the business and have access to professional-grade documentation...though I'd argue that the forums are likely even better in many respects.

Regarding pop testers, if I felt I needed accuracy to +/- 1 psi on a pop tester, I'd buy a $5000 digital unit with integral printer, 16" screen and a .5 micron filter assembly and automatic popping and digital recording of each pop in super slo-mo, rather than building one. I can live with a lot less accuracy and bells and whistles and only have $21.47 invested...and you know what? The car runs perfectly, and has for the last 30k miles since I last popped my injectors.

I kind of like my HF tools, too... and my swap meet tools and my Craigs List equipment. And I kind of like making my own tools and solving problems without investing a fortune.

If you want a dry gauge, go for it...
Can you make even the slightest hint of an agrument that would support the selection of a damped gauge for injector testing? The HF and Craigs List distraction isn't terribly persuasive.

Why would you choose a damped gauge for use in a dynamic situation like injector testing?
__________________
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM
mach4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego County, CA
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Can you make even the slightest hint of an agrument [sic] that would support the selection of a damped gauge for injector testing? The HF and Craigs List distraction isn't terribly persuasive.

Why would you choose a damped gauge for use in a dynamic situation like injector testing?
Uhhhh, because it works... oh, and because the multi-thousand professional Caterpillar units use liquid filled gauges. If it's good enough for Caterpillar, it's good enough for me.

...that is all
__________________
Current Stable
  • 380SL (diesel)
  • Corvette C5
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page