Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North New Jersey
Posts: 380
Rough 1980 SD sells for $8400 on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-mercedes-benz-300sd-7/

Insane price for a reserve auction of a very rough car. This is a $3000 craigslist car IMO.
Now is the time to sell I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 322
Everyone in the comment section jerking off to this piece except 1 guy. Look at the windshield, they didn't even put the trim back in it because they didn't know what the hell they were doing. Rotten jack points painted to look strong. Rust all around. Runny paint. Car is a mess.
__________________
'80 300SD - '83 240D - '00 E55 AMG - '97 Land Rover D1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2018, 03:14 PM
BodhiBenz1987's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 3,000
Umm, I know this car is not perfect, but if it's "very rough" I hate to think what mine are. I wouldn't even call it rough. Yeah the price seems a little high but W116 SDs are pretty scarce in general, and most of the ones I've seen are much worse than this ... plus even with the cosmetic glitches it's a 74K-mile car with maintenance stamps up to the last 5K. I wouldn't compare it to 123s because there are nice w123s all over the place. They built fewer than 30,000 300SDs and over a million 240D/300D/300TDs.
__________________
1987 300D, arctic white/palomino--314,000 miles
1978 240D 4-speed, Euro Delivery, light ivory/bamboo--369,000 miles
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited, light khaki/slate--137,000 miles
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--3,700 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--32,000 miles (Dad's car)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM
JHZR2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,521
Wow, if that is $8400, what's the matter with this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300-Series-300SD-TURBODIESEL-LEATHER-WOOD-ALLOYS-88K-MILES/163089056674?hash=item25f8dd83a2:g:lsIAAOSwPhhbG0r5&vxp=mtr

I guess its like real estate - location, location. East coast W116 cars are a rarity. I know of one green ga$$er that I see around. No others.
__________________
Own:
1981 240D (73K)
1982 300CD (162k)
1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 (62K)
2011 BMW 135i cv (14k)
2014 Honda Odyssey (6k)
2015 Honda Accord Hybrid (5k)
Had:
2008 VW Rabbit (70k)
2004 SAAB 9-3 (83k)
1991 BMW 318i (183K)
1983 300D (228K) (wrecked by at-fault uninsured driver)
1985 300D (233K) (now in FL)
1994 Acura Integra (188k) (Rusted out)
1992 Toyota 4Runner (72k) (Rusted out)
1990 Daihatsu Rocky (??) (No parts)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2018, 04:26 PM
BodhiBenz1987's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Wow, if that is $8400, what's the matter with this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300-Series-300SD-TURBODIESEL-LEATHER-WOOD-ALLOYS-88K-MILES/163089056674?hash=item25f8dd83a2:g:lsIAAOSwPhhbG0r5&vxp=mtr

I guess its like real estate - location, location. East coast W116 cars are a rarity. I know of one green ga$$er that I see around. No others.
Yes location probably matters but like I said, scarcity in general. Plenty of decent or very nice w126s to be had all over. Same thing with 123 vs 115. I've seen lots of pretty meh 115s go for $5k while a decent w123 can be had for less than $2k. Yeah if you live in California it's easier to find any of them for cheaper. Everywhere else the 116/115 are getting to be extremely rare. And even in Calif, everything I look at, the 115/116 are higher than 123/126. Again, this one seems kind of high. But I'm not that surprised for an auction.
__________________
1987 300D, arctic white/palomino--314,000 miles
1978 240D 4-speed, Euro Delivery, light ivory/bamboo--369,000 miles
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited, light khaki/slate--137,000 miles
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--3,700 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--32,000 miles (Dad's car)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2018, 04:30 PM
JHZR2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
Yes location probably matters but like I said, scarcity in general. Plenty of decent or very nice w126s to be had all over. Same thing with 123 vs 115. I've seen lots of pretty meh 115s go for $5k while a decent w123 can be had for less than $2k. Yeah if you live in California it's easier to find any of them for cheaper. Everywhere else the 116/115 are getting to be extremely rare. And even in Calif, everything I look at, the 115/116 are higher than 123/126. Again, this one seems kind of high. But I'm not that surprised for an auction.
Got it. But I can't see any redeeming quality to want a 116 vs a 126, or a 115 vs a 123.

Maybe that's just me, but the MB diesel kind of hit its pinnacle.

Yeah, 124/210/211 cars have more modern qualities, but also start trading complexities.

Nothing against 115 or 116 cars, and the 116 is sure pretty, I wanted one for a long while. But my stable would be filled with a 126 SD, and then a V12 SL of some kind if I added more cars.

If I was looking for an oldie, I think Id look for a fintail.

Not being argumentative, that's just me...
__________________
Own:
1981 240D (73K)
1982 300CD (162k)
1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 (62K)
2011 BMW 135i cv (14k)
2014 Honda Odyssey (6k)
2015 Honda Accord Hybrid (5k)
Had:
2008 VW Rabbit (70k)
2004 SAAB 9-3 (83k)
1991 BMW 318i (183K)
1983 300D (228K) (wrecked by at-fault uninsured driver)
1985 300D (233K) (now in FL)
1994 Acura Integra (188k) (Rusted out)
1992 Toyota 4Runner (72k) (Rusted out)
1990 Daihatsu Rocky (??) (No parts)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:12 PM
BodhiBenz1987's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Got it. But I can't see any redeeming quality to want a 116 vs a 126, or a 115 vs a 123.

Maybe that's just me, but the MB diesel kind of hit its pinnacle.

Yeah, 124/210/211 cars have more modern qualities, but also start trading complexities.

Nothing against 115 or 116 cars, and the 116 is sure pretty, I wanted one for a long while. But my stable would be filled with a 126 SD, and then a V12 SL of some kind if I added more cars.

If I was looking for an oldie, I think Id look for a fintail.

Not being argumentative, that's just me...
Nah I get what you're saying. I think it's just a matter of taste and I'm guessing a lot of people would prefer the 126 or 123. I'd probably prefer a 116 to 126, but, considering you can find a great 126 for relatively cheap, I'd probably choose that. But the 116/115s do have a certain charm and I'm guessing that combined with fewer available has driven up the market. I suspect as 123s and 126s become more scarce (the fact that they aren't yet speaks to their quality) we will see a similar trend.

Of course what I really want is a W113. Dream on. Even R107s, which I'd be happy to have as well, have shot up in price unless it's a total junker (and when I say total junker, I mean actual total mess).
__________________
1987 300D, arctic white/palomino--314,000 miles
1978 240D 4-speed, Euro Delivery, light ivory/bamboo--369,000 miles
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited, light khaki/slate--137,000 miles
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--3,700 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--32,000 miles (Dad's car)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2018, 01:59 AM
Squiggle Dog's Avatar
MBCA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surprise, AZ, USA
Posts: 2,824
I highly prefer the W116 over the W123 or W126. I had figured that's how everyone else felt, and the reason most people chose W123s or W126s over the W116 was simply due to how scarce the W116s are. Interesting.
__________________
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://tryveg.com/

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!


1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 344,000+ Miles
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2018, 07:35 AM
JHZR2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle Dog View Post
I highly prefer the W116 over the W123 or W126. I had figured that's how everyone else felt, and the reason most people chose W123s or W126s over the W116 was simply due to how scarce the W116s are. Interesting.

Care to share why? They're great looking cars, that's for sure.

My logic has been that the 123/126 was the furthest along in engineering design, before stuff started getting electrified.

I read long ago that 116s were very rust prone, my experience on the east coast backs that up.
__________________
Own:
1981 240D (73K)
1982 300CD (162k)
1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 (62K)
2011 BMW 135i cv (14k)
2014 Honda Odyssey (6k)
2015 Honda Accord Hybrid (5k)
Had:
2008 VW Rabbit (70k)
2004 SAAB 9-3 (83k)
1991 BMW 318i (183K)
1983 300D (228K) (wrecked by at-fault uninsured driver)
1985 300D (233K) (now in FL)
1994 Acura Integra (188k) (Rusted out)
1992 Toyota 4Runner (72k) (Rusted out)
1990 Daihatsu Rocky (??) (No parts)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North New Jersey
Posts: 380
when we're in the half-million production numbers for a chassis, I'm just not convinced scarcity is the biggest issue for value. Sure, there were not as many 116s than 123s. There were also far fewer 123 coupes than 123 wagons made - but wagons get a lot more dough.
__________________
Andrew
Montclair, NJ
--------------
1982 300D Turbo
117k
Petrol Blue/Green
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Squiggle Dog's Avatar
MBCA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surprise, AZ, USA
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Care to share why? They're great looking cars, that's for sure.

My logic has been that the 123/126 was the furthest along in engineering design, before stuff started getting electrified.

I read long ago that 116s were very rust prone, my experience on the east coast backs that up.
In my opinion, the W116 is better-looking and seems to be higher quality. It is, of course, the S-Class to the E-Class W123. It's also a lot nimbler, has a much sharper turning radius, and is easier to drive than a W126--which feels like driving a big boat that's dragging its anchor, and is hard to park. I've never driven a car with a nicer ride than a W116.

A W116 is built more like a Rolls-Royce when compared to a W123, but it makes sense because the W123 was meant to be a more economy-minded vehicle. The W126 has too much plastic for my liking, and then anything newer than that, might as well just buy a new car.
__________________
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://tryveg.com/

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!


1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 344,000+ Miles
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2018, 03:45 PM
JHZR2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle Dog View Post
In my opinion, the W116 is better-looking and seems to be higher quality. It is, of course, the S-Class to the E-Class W123. It's also a lot nimbler, has a much sharper turning radius, and is easier to drive than a W126--which feels like driving a big boat that's dragging its anchor, and is hard to park. I've never driven a car with a nicer ride than a W116.

A W116 is built more like a Rolls-Royce when compared to a W123, but it makes sense because the W123 was meant to be a more economy-minded vehicle. The W126 has too much plastic for my liking, and then anything newer than that, might as well just buy a new car.

Thanks. Makes a lot of sense. Agree that the 123 doesn't compare to a 116; rather, that comparison would be a 115.

I don't have firsthand driving experience of the 116 vs 126 - inteeeting info!
__________________
Own:
1981 240D (73K)
1982 300CD (162k)
1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 (62K)
2011 BMW 135i cv (14k)
2014 Honda Odyssey (6k)
2015 Honda Accord Hybrid (5k)
Had:
2008 VW Rabbit (70k)
2004 SAAB 9-3 (83k)
1991 BMW 318i (183K)
1983 300D (228K) (wrecked by at-fault uninsured driver)
1985 300D (233K) (now in FL)
1994 Acura Integra (188k) (Rusted out)
1992 Toyota 4Runner (72k) (Rusted out)
1990 Daihatsu Rocky (??) (No parts)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 322
I've owned a 116 and 123 for many years. The 116 is a better built vehicle in almost every way and it feels so much better. But honestly, it should. Only thing I like better in the 123 is the climate control because Mercedes lost their mind on the 116 and thought using something from Chrysler was a good idea.
__________________
'80 300SD - '83 240D - '00 E55 AMG - '97 Land Rover D1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 5
It goes to show you that MANY BaT cars are overhyped. People get into a bidding war and price goes up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North New Jersey
Posts: 380
I would take a 123 over a 116 any day. With the same engine, same condition, same price - Id go 123 every time. Just my preference - and just mentioning this to illustrate that preference for 116 is not universal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page