Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums
 
  Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    


Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > ML, GL, G-Wagen, R-Class, Unimog, Sprinter

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 104
Vehicle speed sensor 'A' code P0500 (BAS,ESP,ETS,ABS - lights)

Vehicle speed sensor 'A' - fault code P0500 'A', ML320, 2002 model
Does 'A' mean it is on the left side front or rear wheel sensor
Please help?
Has anyone else replaced same?
* If so would this be classified as a rocket science project?
* does the sensor sit on the outside of the hub or inside the bearing?
* Front ball joints replaced 8000 km ago - could the job have messed things up?
* Any pictures or schematic drawings appreciated

If the Garoge did the work how much did u pay?

Last edited by Smith007; 05-31-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tucker, Ga USA
Posts: 12,153
ON that truck you should get a traction code like "C 1000".
Generic engine codes like that don't lead to a diagnosis of the problem.. Code must be read from traction & transmission systems.
__________________
MERCEDES Benz Master Guild Technician (6 TIMES)
ASE Master Technician
Mercedes Benz Star Technician (2 times)
44 years foreign automotive repair
27 Years M.B. Shop foreman (dealer)
MB technical information Specialist (15 years)
190E 2.3 16V ITS SCCA race car (sold)
1986 190E 2.3 16V 2.5 (sold)
Retired Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 104
Thanks Doc for responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.B.DOC
ON that truck you should get a traction code like "C 1000".
Generic engine codes like that don't lead to a diagnosis of the problem.. Code must be read from traction & transmission systems.
Thanks for the additional info Doc.

The facts: leading up to the dash lights been illuminated like a Xmas tree was that the wife was driving through tons of water during a thunderstorm.
However, I am no rocket scientist and if I interpret 'generic' u mean that only MB diagnostic/code reader machine can provide the test and not a generic diagnostic/code reader machine and/or there is a specific machine to be plugged into the transmission/traction port - and this port is someone where else in the vehicle other than the port situated under the drivers dashport.
Or is it possible that the generic diagnostic/code reader machines give out diff codes numbers and letters to the Mb for the exact same problem
In other words if one was to plug the MB diagnostic/code reader one would receive "C 1000" while a generic diagnostic/code reader machines would give a reading P0500 (vehicle speed sensor A left side)

Forgive Doc but I am confused can you elaborate


Thanks Doc
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 104
Miracles do happen but for how long remains to be seen

The mechanic I know ran a snap on trouble shooting code reader; producing Vehicle speed sensor 'A' - fault code P0500 'A', when he looked it up on the internet stated that the mentioned sensor above was on the left side of the vehicle either left front or left rear, but no further elaboration.
Here is the kicker he reset the dash lights and stated they will return - which they did, however, exactly one day after the initial dash warning lights came on they disappeared or were no longer iluminated all butthe check engine light but moments after this miracle the the engine light disappeared or were no longer iluminated - go figure
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 104
Miracles don't always last - it rained again

all the lights mentioned went on again but as sson as it dried up the lights dissapeared Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tucker, Ga USA
Posts: 12,153
Have MB repair shop check codes from traction system for proper diagnosis..there are at least 50 different codes that could come out of that system.
__________________
MERCEDES Benz Master Guild Technician (6 TIMES)
ASE Master Technician
Mercedes Benz Star Technician (2 times)
44 years foreign automotive repair
27 Years M.B. Shop foreman (dealer)
MB technical information Specialist (15 years)
190E 2.3 16V ITS SCCA race car (sold)
1986 190E 2.3 16V 2.5 (sold)
Retired Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2006, 10:30 AM
ML320's Avatar
Wolfgang
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith007
all the lights mentioned went on again but as sson as it dried up the lights dissapeared Any suggestions?
It's just as M.B.DOC said.



If the ABS light comes on it indicates a problem with the ABS system like a wheel speed sensor with loose connection, which also lights up the other lights.

The P0500 is read from the engine controller and indicates there is a VSS vehicle speed sensor problem:
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/dtc.html

To figure out what exactly is wrong one needs to read the traction controller which gives the Cxxxx fault codes.

Some ABS info for troubleshooting is here:

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/327_traction_and_braking/327%20HO%2002%20ABS%20(WJB,GC)%2002-25-04.pdf
__________________
W163.154, M112.942, 722.662, ZF.970.402
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9
I hate to beat a topic that has been talked about several times, but just want to make sure I gathered the correct info that I have read in these forums.

I have only had my ML430 for a little over a year and with no problems. I bought it used and I love it. Lots of power and fun to drive. Recently I replaced the original battery and this is where I was introduced to indicator and warning lamps. After battery replacement the BAS/ESP and ETS lights were illuminated but soon extinguished after driving a short distance. Everything was back to normal until recently when on a trip to the beach, the BAS/ESP and ETS lights came on again. This time they are staying on. Rechecked the battery and it is deffinately good. So after reading in these forums, I see where it is a likely candidate that the stop light switch could be bad, which is located at the brake pedal.

Other than taking the ML to the dealer to have the codes read, is there anything that I may be missing or overlooked that I should check or read? I would appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sunrise, fl
Posts: 82
After replacing the battery you must re-activate the Steering Angle Sensor as follows:

1. Start engine.
2. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock.

The ADS or ESP malfunction indicator lamp (A1e27 or A1e42) should go out.

At this time it may also be the stop light switch.

Hope this helps.

Rene
__________________
'99 ML320, '00 C280
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
I also have a 99 ML320 with consistent BAS/ESP/ETS lights on. The other thing that happened at the same time is that the cruise control no longer functions. Lights came on all at once and have never gone out.

Took the car to the local independent MB shop where he used the computer to check codes and told me it was the steering angle sensor...requiring replacement of the whole steering column. However, I had not realized the cruise control was out at that point so I'll have to talk to him about it before he goes ahead with the repair. He did try the reset business with turning steering wheel lock to lock etc with no change.

I was with him when he checked the computer and saw the code for the steering angle sensor. When people are talking about replacing the brake switch, is that in lieu of checking the computer codes? Do the codes mislead? I'd hate to pay for the whole steering column replacment to find out I just needed a new brake switch.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-24-2006, 08:49 AM
azinn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island View Post
I also have a 99 ML320 with consistent BAS/ESP/ETS lights on. The other thing that happened at the same time is that the cruise control no longer functions. Lights came on all at once and have never gone out.

Took the car to the local independent MB shop where he used the computer to check codes and told me it was the steering angle sensor...requiring replacement of the whole steering column. However, I had not realized the cruise control was out at that point so I'll have to talk to him about it before he goes ahead with the repair. He did try the reset business with turning steering wheel lock to lock etc with no change.

I was with him when he checked the computer and saw the code for the steering angle sensor. When people are talking about replacing the brake switch, is that in lieu of checking the computer codes? Do the codes mislead? I'd hate to pay for the whole steering column replacment to find out I just needed a new brake switch.
I would replace the Brake Switch first (cheap fix) and see what happens before letting your independent fix anything. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1166641-ets-bas-warning-light-fix.html?highlight=brake+switch+replacemet for DIY instructions. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinn View Post
I would replace the Brake Switch first (cheap fix) and see what happens before letting your independent fix anything. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1166641-ets-bas-warning-light-fix.html?highlight=brake+switch+replacemet for DIY instructions. My 2 cents.
Thanks. Do you know if the brake light switch could also have anything to do with the cruise control not operating? I've seen lots of posts regarding the brake switch but no one else mentions the cruise control. The cruise control stopped working (won't turn on) at the same time (approximately...I obviously did not notice it simulateously) that the BAS/ESP/ETS lights came on.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9
I do not think that the cruise control is related to the BAS/ESP/ETS lights. It just does not make sense that it would. But I am not 100% on that. And as far as the switch....since it is a $25 item, I am going to replace that first, then if I have too I will get the codes read. I will replace the switch this weekend and post results.

Oh, I found the switch here.

At least I am thinking this is the correct part. Will know for sure once I remove the existing one. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-24-2006, 06:12 PM
azinn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island View Post
Thanks. Do you know if the brake light switch could also have anything to do with the cruise control not operating? I've seen lots of posts regarding the brake switch but no one else mentions the cruise control. The cruise control stopped working (won't turn on) at the same time (approximately...I obviously did not notice it simulateously) that the BAS/ESP/ETS lights came on.
Yes............. a faulty brake switch will affect your cruise control.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9
I replaced the brake switch today and the BAS/ESP/ETS lights are out. Everything looks like it is back to normal. Just wanted to say thank you for you help.

The part was only $14 at the dealer. Very cheap fix.
__________________
1999 ML430 Black
2004 PT Cruiser
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page