Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 897
Examples of people who have no mechanical "feel" for things

I'll start with one. People who crank a valve open or closed HARD against the stop. As simple as a garden hose or a propane tank valve. The automotive equivalent is cranking the oil drain plug on insanely tight.

Rgds,
Chris W.
'95 E300D, 345K
__________________
Objects in closer are mirror than they appear.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM
engatwork's Avatar
busy
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Soperton, Ga. USA
Posts: 12,286
My wife is pitiful when it comes to mechanical things. Thankfully I love her for all the other things. I will say (proudly) that last week I talked her (on the phone) through jump starting the pickup.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,306
People who strip oil pan drain plugs, I mean come on its not that hard.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
2007 Tiara 3200

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,784
The friend who watched my '71 for me while I was overseas and couldn't tell that the transmission was slipping badly (due to him having run it out of fluid).
__________________
Anyone who thinks a 300D is fast drives too slow.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 360,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 28,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Designers who use multiple datums on a 3 view drawing...
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: central Texas
Posts: 17,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
Designers who use multiple datums on a 3 view drawing...
Can you explain what that means ?
Is that something like someone saying ' they proved the null hypothesis ' ?
Something by definition they have done wrong if they are doing that ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
compu_85's Avatar
Waiting for his Model 3..
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Springfield VA
Posts: 5,174
People who crank a thermostat or fan speed switch really far when they are uncomfortable, rather than making a small adjustment.

-J
__________________
1991 350SDL. 230,000 miles (new motor @ 150,000).

2013 Fiat 500E. 20,000 miles, 80 miles at a time.
2012 Passat TDI. 95,000 miles. More space, power, and fuel economy than the Benz
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 150,000 miles. One of 450.
1999 Jetta TDI. 310,000 miles.
1992 Jetta ECOdiesel. 156,000 miles. 1 of 48. Sold.
1991 Jetta ECOdiesel. 430,000 miles. 1 of 700. Sold to VeeDubTDI, totaled in front of our house
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
People who crank a thermostat or fan speed switch really far when they are uncomfortable, rather than making a small adjustment.

-J
I had a room mate once who did that. The bad part is he was a Construction Mechanic 1st Class in the Seabees. He finally stopped after about the third time I explained how the control algorithm for the AC worked.
__________________
Anyone who thinks a 300D is fast drives too slow.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 360,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 28,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by engatwork View Post
My wife is pitiful when it comes to mechanical things. Thankfully I love her for all the other things. I will say (proudly) that last week I talked her (on the phone) through jump starting the pickup.
Hope you instructed her to wear safety goggles.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Ara T.'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,075
It kind of annoys me when I see people hit the steering lock when turning, and keep on cranking the wheel hard against the stop.. you can usually hear the power steering pump squeal in displeasure
__________________
1985 CA 300D Turbo , 213K mi
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I miss my MBZ
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara T. View Post
It kind of annoys me when I see people hit the steering lock when turning, and keep on cranking the wheel hard against the stop.. you can usually hear the power steering pump squeal in displeasure
+1

my wife does this, And worse- when she is exiting our Subaru wagon (which has frameless windows) she closes the door by pushing on the window glass (not the heavy metal door...) it kills me.

I also dont appreciate the 'throw it to the stops' mentality when it comes to 'consumer' control systems. I was with a Machine tool Controls EE (!!) when he rented a Lincoln Town car with auto climate control- it was summer and he just couldn't wait for the car to sense that it was hot inside, he *had* to push the fan to "RLY FAST" as soon as he started the engine...and then back it down manually about 5 minutes later- never putting it in 'automatic' mode (the way it was intended to work). And he was a controls guy...




Datums and 3-view drawings ? my layman's translation would be - it means that if you are machining a piece of metal (drilling holes, cutting edges straight...), you need to measure something multiple times from different places before you are sure that the hole/edge is in the correct place. Better design (using 1 datum) involves more effort on the part of the designer, but requires less thought and checking during production - which is the way it should be done.

am I close ?
-John
__________________
2009 Kia Sedona
2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L
1994 Miata M-edition (salvage-rebuilt)

(insert Mercedes here)

Husband, Father, sometimes friend =)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 PM
BodhiBenz1987's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 3,005
People who accelerate into stop lights. I see it all the time ... and it's even worse when someone floors it to pass you as you approach a stop light.
__________________
1987 300D, arctic white/palomino--314,000 miles
1978 240D 4-speed, Euro Delivery, light ivory/bamboo--370,000 miles
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited, light khaki/slate--140,000 miles
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
Can you explain what that means ?
Is that something like someone saying ' they proved the null hypothesis ' ?
Something by definition they have done wrong if they are doing that ?
My definition of "Mechanical Feel" translates to my trade as this...

Detail drawings in ACAD are generally done in a "3 view drawing", meaning 3 sides of the part are shown, so someone is able to machine the part and make it to print.

A "Datum" is a point on the part, usually a corner, where dimensions generate.

Someone who has no "Mechanical Feel", or mechanical experience will use multiple datums to dimension from for each view...meaning they will have some features dimensioned from the left side, some from the right side, some from the tip and some from the bottom. When this is done, it creates more work for the person machining the part, because they have to re-dimension the part to make it easier to machine.

Therefore, when someone lacks the "Mechanical Feel" they lack the experience to properly draw a part. They may be able to draw, but they cannot draw it in such a way that it can be made properly.

I hope that's clear as mud.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
People who accelerate into stop lights. I see it all the time ... and it's even worse when someone floors it to pass you as you approach a stop light.
They have to do it.......all of them.

The reason is the fact that the time sitting at the red light doesn't count in the overall trip time.

Got it?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
My definition of "Mechanical Feel" translates to my trade as this...

Detail drawings in ACAD are generally done in a "3 view drawing", meaning 3 sides of the part are shown, so someone is able to machine the part and make it to print.

A "Datum" is a point on the part, usually a corner, where dimensions generate.

Someone who has no "Mechanical Feel", or mechanical experience will use multiple datums to dimension from for each view...meaning they will have some features dimensioned from the left side, some from the right side, some from the tip and some from the bottom. When this is done, it creates more work for the person machining the part, because they have to re-dimension the part to make it easier to machine.

Therefore, when someone lacks the "Mechanical Feel" they lack the experience to properly draw a part. They may be able to draw, but they cannot draw it in such a way that it can be made properly.

I hope that's clear as mud.
I see your point as far as what you consider a datum. On ASME drawings you genrally have three datums, for Geometric Dimensioning and Toleranceing. Basically, you are dealing with a three dimensional or Cartesian cordinate system. So, usually two or three datums are needed. 'A' is usually the base, "B" locates in the 'X' plane or a hole and 'C' clocks the part or keep it from rotation. Mating surfaces usually have another datum. Usually, your dimensions come from 'B' or 'A'. On some parts, dimensions will be from another datum or feature. That signifies or keeps say bolt holes related to that feature. A good example would be bolt holes for a starter boss on a flywheel housing
Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page