Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
HireRight...anyone have dealings with them before?

I've been offered employment with a company directly tied to the oil and gas industry here in western PA, and I've accepted. HireRight was contracted to do a background check on me. They required employment history spanning my entire 26 years in the trade, which I freely gave to them...I have a two different resumes, one long and one short.

Anyway, this company has now asked for tax information to confirm employment for companies that are no longer operating. I explained to them that due to a previous housefire, that I no longer hold copies of these documents, and that my previous accountant in Ohio would have to have a week or two to generate copies for me. Now, I understand that there are security concerns in the gas and oil industry, but I never went under a magnifying glass this intense when I worked in Aerospace doing DoD work when I had to have government clearance.

Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they always this intense or is it only because of the industry I'll be working in?

__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:25 PM
The Clk Man's Avatar
Saved By Grace
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Heaven Bound
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
I've been offered employment with a company directly tied to the oil and gas industry here in western PA, and I've accepted. HireRight was contracted to do a background check on me. They required employment history spanning my entire 26 years in the trade, which I freely gave to them...I have a two different resumes, one long and one short.

Anyway, this company has now asked for tax information to confirm employment for companies that are no longer operating. I explained to them that due to a previous housefire, that I no longer hold copies of these documents, and that my previous accountant in Ohio would have to have a week or two to generate copies for me. Now, I understand that there are security concerns in the gas and oil industry, but I never went under a magnifying glass this intense when I worked in Aerospace doing DoD work when I had to have government clearance.

Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they always this intense or is it only because of the industry I'll be working in?
I don't understand why they would need your "private" tax papers. Proof of employment should be enough.
__________________
For the Saved, this world is the worst it will ever get.
For the unSaved, this world is the best it will ever get.

Clk's Ebay Stuff BUY SOMETHING NOW!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix Arizona. Ex Durban R.S.A.
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clk Man View Post
I don't understand why they would need your "private" tax papers.
Is that even legal?

- Peter.
__________________
81 240D stick. 316000 miles at purchase. 342000 now
2000 GMC Sonoma
Formerly...
2002 Kia Rio. Worst crap on four wheels
1981 240D 4spd stick. 389000 miles. Deceased Jan 08
1984 123 200
1979 116 280S
1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1971 108 280S
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
They have requested either 1099 forms or W-2 forms. I'm unsure of the legality of their request.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,500
The IRS only keeps records back a certain # of years, which the company can pull if they have your permission -- before that, it's easy enough to forge 1099's/W-2s or copies thereof And yes, I'm advocating borderline activity, so shoot me.

BTW - going back 26 years is pretty absurd short of a government security clearance check.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 PM
The Clk Man's Avatar
Saved By Grace
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Heaven Bound
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
They have requested either 1099 forms or W-2 forms. I'm unsure of the legality of their request.
Hey jp, I'm a tool maker like you, I needed a chisel today so I found an old socket extension and ground the end until it was sharp. I'm so proud of myself.
__________________
For the Saved, this world is the worst it will ever get.
For the unSaved, this world is the best it will ever get.

Clk's Ebay Stuff BUY SOMETHING NOW!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clk Man View Post
Hey jp, I'm a tool maker like you, I needed a chisel today so I found an old socket extension and ground the end until it was sharp. I'm so proud of myself.
Umm...No.

Industrious, perhaps, but far from a tool maker.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 PM
The Clk Man's Avatar
Saved By Grace
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Heaven Bound
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
Umm...No.

Industrious, perhaps, but far from a tool maker.
AAhhh man.
__________________
For the Saved, this world is the worst it will ever get.
For the unSaved, this world is the best it will ever get.

Clk's Ebay Stuff BUY SOMETHING NOW!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada.
Posts: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
I've been offered employment with a company directly tied to the oil and gas industry here in western PA, and I've accepted. HireRight was contracted to do a background check on me. They required employment history spanning my entire 26 years in the trade, which I freely gave to them...I have a two different resumes, one long and one short.

Anyway, this company has now asked for tax information to confirm employment for companies that are no longer operating. I explained to them that due to a previous housefire, that I no longer hold copies of these documents, and that my previous accountant in Ohio would have to have a week or two to generate copies for me. Now, I understand that there are security concerns in the gas and oil industry, but I never went under a magnifying glass this intense when I worked in Aerospace doing DoD work when I had to have government clearance.

Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they always this intense or is it only because of the industry I'll be working in?
This is fairly new in my world too. Reciently a friend was asked to prove past employment . I thought it a little strange. Perhaps it is a somewhat new approach.

Personally I find it a little intrusive. There should be another way they can establish this by their own methods. It also sounds like a way to transfer their work load and responsibilities for function to you.

Last edited by barry123400; 11-17-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
I've been offered employment with a company directly tied to the oil and gas industry here in western PA, and I've accepted. HireRight was contracted to do a background check on me. They required employment history spanning my entire 26 years in the trade, which I freely gave to them...I have a two different resumes, one long and one short.

Anyway, this company has now asked for tax information to confirm employment for companies that are no longer operating. I explained to them that due to a previous housefire, that I no longer hold copies of these documents, and that my previous accountant in Ohio would have to have a week or two to generate copies for me. Now, I understand that there are security concerns in the gas and oil industry, but I never went under a magnifying glass this intense when I worked in Aerospace doing DoD work when I had to have government clearance.

Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they always this intense or is it only because of the industry I'll be working in?
It depends on what type of work you do. Some types of information are extremely sensitive -- literally billions of bucks on the line. Can you be trusted with that kind of information? Prove it.

Also, even the lowest level gov security clearance now goes back 12 years. If you want TS-SCI and above it's your whole life. They key criterion is this: Do not evade the truth in any way. They are looking for people that cannot be trusted to tell the truth, not for whether you burned a doobie.
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry123400 View Post
This is fairly new in my world too. Reciently a friend was asked to prove past employment . I thought it a little strange. Perhaps it is a somewhat new approach.

Personally I find it a little intrusive. There should be another way they can establish this by their own methods. It also sounds like a way to transfer their work load and responsibilities for function to you.
I'm wondering if it's because of the rather large number of people that have been out of work for a year or more...

I told them that it would take a week or longer to get the documents from my accountant, because they are generally stored off site in a storage facility, and would need to be retrieved from out of state.

I called the prospective employer about the situation, and they didn't seem too concerned, as they understand about past places of employment shuttering their doors.

We'll see what happens.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-17-2011, 10:02 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
It depends on what type of work you do. Some types of information are extremely sensitive -- literally billions of bucks on the line. Can you be trusted with that kind of information? Prove it.

Also, even the lowest level gov security clearance now goes back 12 years. If you want TS-SCI and above it's your whole life. They key criterion is this: Do not evade the truth in any way. They are looking for people that cannot be trusted to tell the truth, not for whether you burned a doobie.
When I qualified for clearance in UT, it was for Aerospace/DoD work. That was 3 years ago. The level of scrutiny didn't seem as intense as the current background check.

I'm confident that they'll find I'm truthful on my resume...the only BS is during the interview. LOL
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
When I qualified for clearance in UT, it was for Aerospace/DoD work. That was 3 years ago. The level of scrutiny didn't seem as intense as the current background check.

I'm confident that they'll find I'm truthful on my resume...the only BS is during the interview. LOL
When I worked in the oil industry the major test for employment was fogging a mirror. I passed! I have friends who tell me that I wouldn't recognize the place compared to when I worked there. I can only accept that. In my day folks had bumper stickers that said, "Tell my momma I'm a piano player in a whore-house, I don't want her to know I work in the oil patch." It was a surreal lifestyle. I understand that it is still wide-open to self-starting ambitious folks with a lot of energy. I can admit that they sucked that from me like a vampire on a hot babe. But it sure felt GOOD!

__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page