Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,384
Electric vehicles required to make noise

Nissan, Mitsubishi tell NHTSA requiring electric vehicles to make noise will turn buyers away

So basically, we'll lose one of the major advantages of electric cars to appease a small group. I love lobbyists Hopefully the noise in the noise-maker can be customized -- if I'm going to be causing noise pollution, I'd like mine to yell "OUT OF THE WAY STEVIE WONDER!" in a Zarvox Apple voice.

What's next: forcing bicycles to put cards in the spokes to be audible to blind people? Why not have blind people carry some sort of transponder that turns the noisemakers on, instead of having them on all the time, annoying the sighted?


Last edited by spdrun; 03-24-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Anyone who was stood next to the front fender of a typical Japanese four cylinder engine would realize that their noise level at 20 feet is non-existent. The noise of such a vehicle approaching is strictly tire noise.

This gasoline powered four cylinder vehicle is effectively identical to the electric powered vehicle at 20 feet.

Another example of the morons in society directing policy for the masses.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Dubyagee's Avatar
All fields are required
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SE
Posts: 5,882
I guess electric cars don't have horns. They can mount a PA speaker on the roof like Elwood.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Я не хакер
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 4,103
Electric car. Quick, kill it before it multiplies.
__________________
Don't believe everything you think. Especially don't believe everything that you feel. Radical Subjectivism is rampant on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
mgburg's Avatar
"Illegal" 3rd Dist. Rep.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Anyone who was stood next to the front fender of a typical Japanese four cylinder engine would realize that their noise level at 20 feet is non-existent. The noise of such a vehicle approaching is strictly tire noise. ... This gasoline powered four cylinder vehicle is effectively identical to the electric powered vehicle at 20 feet. ... Another example of the morons in society directing policy for the masses.
Welcome to the current world of television...

A separate channel of audio (Video Descriptor) for the visually-impaired.

A bunch of us are waiting for "Uncle Charlie" to mandate the issuance of Tactile-Pad devices (with changing-the-the-script raised "bumps") so the blind can "read" the fine print on the Viagra/Ciallis and Auto-ads so they won't be taken advantage of. . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . .
__________________
.

.
M. G. Burg
'10 - Dakota SXT - Daily Ride / ≈ 172.5K
.'76 - 450SLC - 107.024.12 / < .89.20 K
..'77 - 280E - 123.033.12 / > 128.20 K
...'67 - El Camino - 283ci / > 207.00 K
....'75 - Yamaha - 650XS / < 21.00 K
.....'87 - G20 Sportvan / > 206.00 K
......'85 - 4WINNS 160 I.O. / 140hp
.......'74 - Honda CT70 / Real 125

.
“I didn’t really say everything I said.”
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ Yogi Berra ~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
Renaissance Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Anyone who was stood next to the front fender of a typical Japanese four cylinder engine would realize that their noise level at 20 feet is non-existent. The noise of such a vehicle approaching is strictly tire noise.

This gasoline powered four cylinder vehicle is effectively identical to the electric powered vehicle at 20 feet.

Another example of the morons in society directing policy for the masses.
It's a tough call. One day I had just pulled into a parking spot in the lot at a large hardware store. I was looking for something in the back seat and at one point I knelt down to look on the floor. All of a sudden, the Prius next to me started silently pulling away. I freaked out, not knowing for sure where my foot was in relation to his tires. I emerged unharmed but it was not a pleasant experience.
__________________
cmac

1986 300SDL, 351K
1984 300D, 133K
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Anyone who was stood next to the front fender of a typical Japanese four cylinder engine would realize that their noise level at 20 feet is non-existent. The noise of such a vehicle approaching is strictly tire noise.

This gasoline powered four cylinder vehicle is effectively identical to the electric powered vehicle at 20 feet.

Another example of the morons in society directing policy for the masses.
I don't think they are morons at all, I've been almost hit multiple times by moron Prius drivers in the dark and dangerous alleyways of Venice Beach. You don't notice them when they creep on to you.
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Carolina
Posts: 1,395
Maybe they could add some space aged George Jettson sounds.
__________________
Current fleet
1992 300D "IceBerg"
1984 300D "Blues Mobile"

1978 300CD "El Toro" Gone on to be born again
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
I don't think they are morons at all, I've been almost hit multiple times by moron Prius drivers in the dark and dangerous alleyways of Venice Beach. You don't notice them when they creep on to you.
Were you stroking your stupidphone while looking down? If so, serves you right.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
Were you stroking your stupidphone while looking down? If so, serves you right.
I don't stroke phones in public.
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Mr.Kenny's Avatar
"Just Passin' Thru"
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Springfield,MO
Posts: 277
We Prius drivers call it "Stealth Mode";..... riding in a car without the motor on is kind of eerie too. It's like a ghost is pushing it.
What is funny, is driving by a dog, cat, squirrel, groundhog, or bird that didn't hear you coming. They jump like they are going to be somebodies next meal.
__________________

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration...
don't Fail Us Now"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
I don't think they are morons at all, I've been almost hit multiple times by moron Prius drivers in the dark and dangerous alleyways of Venice Beach. You don't notice them when they creep on to you.
I call BS on that.

If you cannot hear a Prius approaching due to the tire noise, you cannot hear a Honda Accord approaching for the same reason. The noise level outside of 20 feet is non-existent.

So, if you're of the clique that wants a Prius to emanate more vehicle noise, you had better include the Accord and the Camry in that group.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
It's a tough call. One day I had just pulled into a parking spot in the lot at a large hardware store. I was looking for something in the back seat and at one point I knelt down to look on the floor. All of a sudden, the Prius next to me started silently pulling away. I freaked out, not knowing for sure where my foot was in relation to his tires. I emerged unharmed but it was not a pleasant experience.
Now you are within three feet.

You've got an argument regarding the silence of the vehicle at 3 feet and 3 mph. However, the OP and the title of the thread implies that the problem is in the approach with the vehicle doing over 20 mph (with tire noise) and with the vehicle beyond the 20 foot range where a piston engine can be heard.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
I call BS on that.

If you cannot hear a Prius approaching due to the tire noise, you cannot hear a Honda Accord approaching for the same reason. The noise level outside of 20 feet is non-existent.

So, if you're of the clique that wants a Prius to emanate more vehicle noise, you had better include the Accord and the Camry in that group.
WTF! My hearing is perfect and I can not hear a Prius approaching me from behind in a city environment with all the noise that comes with city live. In the sticks it's maybe a different story, with only the birds singing. When they run on the electric motors or below 20mph they should make some sort of noise.

And if it's the same with an Accord or a Camry they should make an artificial sound as well. What's the big deal anyways; the INFINITY FX and the new BMW M5 both have an artificial roar.
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
And if it's the same with an Accord or a Camry they should make an artificial sound as well.
OK, then.

But, don't join the group that chooses to attack the electric vehicle for being silent when there are plenty of small four cylinder vehicles are just as quiet outside of 20 feet.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page