Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
If You Give a Kid a Laptop

Why one New Jersey school district killed its student laptop program | Ars Technica

“We bought laptops that had reinforced hard-shell cases so that we could try to offset some of the damage these kids were going to do,” said Crocamo. “I was pretty impressed with some of the damage they did anyway. Some of the laptops would come back to us completely destroyed.”

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:28 PM
elchivito's Avatar
ˇAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,073
Poor implementation and hardware choice, probably worsened by poorly trained and underpaid IT staff.
I know one district here in backwater AZ that did away with paper texts over 10 years ago and gave every kid 7th -12th an iBook. Remember iBooks ? Now they get MacBooks. They've saved tens of thousands on absurd paper textbook costs over the years and never looked back. The laptops are text, research and word processing devices. Everything else is locked out and locked out well. Parents sign an agreement to pay replacement cost for damaged devices and they are held to it. Owe money for a MacBook your kid buggered? Want his diploma? Write a check or he doesn't graduate. EZPZ
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
“A lot of people knew the username and password,” Toback said. “So a lot of people were able to walk by the building and they would get wireless access. Over a period of years, you had thousands of people. It bogged it down, it made it unusable.
So no one in Hoboken has ever heard of filtering by MAC address? Or expiration of login credentials, for that matter?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,726
Exactly reason why you don't invest in anything good until they start paying for it themselves. Value of money. Learn it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Simpler=Better's Avatar
Ham Shanker
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
So no one in Hoboken has ever heard of filtering by MAC address? Or expiration of login credentials, for that matter?
Shhhhh!
__________________
$60 OM617 Blank Exhaust Flanges
$110 OM606 Blank Exhaust Flanges
No merc at the moment
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 PM
kmaysob's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: mesa az
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
So no one in Hoboken has ever heard of filtering by MAC address? Or expiration of login credentials, for that matter?
EXACTLY! try explaining this to my boss. he is terrified of wifi. i have tried to explain how secure we can make it. there is just no convincing some.
__________________
have no worries.....President Obama swears "If you like your gun, you can keep it
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Parents sign an agreement to pay replacement cost for damaged devices and they are held to it. Owe money for a MacBook your kid buggered? Want his diploma? Write a check or he doesn't graduate. EZPZ
Quote:
It began five years ago with an unexpected windfall of stimulus money from Washington, D.C., and good intentions to help the district’s students, the majority of whom are under or near the poverty line, keep up with their wealthier peers.
Windfall stimulus money with good intentions? What was the road to hell paved with again?

Do I give a crap about his diploma? If not, send the bill if you want. Besides, I don't have a penny to my name so good luck with that. Just because you sue me, win in court and have the judgment in hand and a legal paper to garnish my wages doesn't mean squat if I have nothing for you to garnish or give a damn about my kid's diploma. Legal judgment is only worth what you can squeeze out of the person. Otherwise, all you have is a piece of paper that costs more than it is worth.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 28,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Windfall stimulus money with good intentions? What was the road to hell paved with again?

Do I give a crap about his diploma? If not, send the bill if you want. Besides, I don't have a penny to my name so good luck with that. Just because you sue me, win in court and have the judgment in hand and a legal paper to garnish my wages doesn't mean squat if I have nothing for you to garnish or give a damn about my kid's diploma. Legal judgment is only worth what you can squeeze out of the person. Otherwise, all you have is a piece of paper that costs more than it is worth.
I am going to shorten the above. The Parents of the Kids don't care so they don't keep their Kids from damaging things; and I am not just thinking of School things.

When I was a Kid and I accidentally hit a Base Ball through someone’s Window I was expected to go over there and say I was sorry and My Parents Paid for a new Window (or My Father did the replacement).
After that I was expected to be more careful and if My Parents though I broke a Window on purpose there would be some serious Punishment.
I am not sure what would happen to Me if I purposely damaged an expensive School Equipment?

All of the above because they cared about Me and also cared about My Neighbors.

In any event taking away the Computers as a result of the abuse inflicted might be the only lesson that some of the Students learned.
__________________
84 300D, 82 Volvo 244Gl Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 28,865
I have giving it more thought. If the Parents signed an agreement to pay for damage to the Computers and they cannot pay Money there is Community Service.

On of My Friends Teenage Daughters started to go wild. Two Weeks of cleaning the Local Parks started Her on the Road to recovery and She stopped hanging out with the so called Friends that She had gone a long with that got Her in Trouble.

No reason why the same might not work on Parents.
__________________
84 300D, 82 Volvo 244Gl Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
I have giving it more thought. If the Parents signed an agreement to pay for damage to the Computers and they cannot pay Money there is Community Service.

On of My Friends Teenage Daughters started to go wild. Two Weeks of cleaning the Local Parks started Her on the Road to recovery and She stopped hanging out with the so called Friends that She had gone a long with that got Her in Trouble.

No reason why the same might not work on Parents.
Better yet, money down held in escrow. Equipment damage? Lose escrow.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page