Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 45
m103 Installing timing chain following head install

I just torqued down a rebuilt cylinder head and I'm trying to install the camshaft, timing gear, and timing chain but I can't seem to slip the chain around the gear. It seems too short! I don't have the tensioner installed either. Do I have to break the chain or should I be able to slip it over the timing gear and then install the tensioner?
__________________
1991 190e 2.6 190,000mi
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-16-2005, 12:22 AM
carson356
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlefferts
I just torqued down a rebuilt cylinder head and I'm trying to install the camshaft, timing gear, and timing chain but I can't seem to slip the chain around the gear. It seems too short! I don't have the tensioner installed either. Do I have to break the chain or should I be able to slip it over the timing gear and then install the tensioner?
it should go back on fairly easy, try moving the crank left and right, the chain may be slightly knked, be sure that when you are moving te crank to hold tension on the chain, and not to turn it to much or with much forse so you don't damage valves
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 45
What do you mean by moving the crank left and right? I've rotated the engine a couple of times using a 27mm socket while holding tension on the chain thinking their were kinks but the chain never "released" any more slack.
__________________
1991 190e 2.6 190,000mi
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2005, 05:19 AM
carson356
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlefferts
What do you mean by moving the crank left and right? I've rotated the engine a couple of times using a 27mm socket while holding tension on the chain thinking their were kinks but the chain never "released" any more slack.
if there were kinks that would have done it, did you do it with the head on or off?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: bullhead city, az hot as hell
Posts: 301
when I mdid mine I took bailing wire and kept the chain and gear together, then slipped it back on cam, and yes you can get it kinked, you did remove the tensioner right, have someone hold up the chain and rotate athe crank just a little back and forth and pull up on chain, the last is put the pin back in the head for the rail
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 45
After 3 days of troubleshooting, I still can't figure out why the timing chain is too short to go around the camgear and then slip onto the camshaft.

1. There are no kinks in the chain. The chain is smooth when I rotate the crank in both directions while hodling tension on the chain.
2. tensioner is not installed
3. the chain is the correct length, 96 links

I'm thinking of cutting the chain, pulling it out, and then rerouting a new chain. Is that possible to do? I'm open to other ideas or if someone in the SanDiego area is willing to come to the rescue, I'd greatly appreciate it.
__________________
1991 190e 2.6 190,000mi
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2005, 02:53 PM
carson356
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlefferts
After 3 days of troubleshooting, I still can't figure out why the timing chain is too short to go around the camgear and then slip onto the camshaft.

1. There are no kinks in the chain. The chain is smooth when I rotate the crank in both directions while hodling tension on the chain.
2. tensioner is not installed
3. the chain is the correct length, 96 links

I'm thinking of cutting the chain, pulling it out, and then rerouting a new chain. Is that possible to do? I'm open to other ideas or if someone in the SanDiego area is willing to come to the rescue, I'd greatly appreciate it.
i am in san diego, when can i come over?, have you tried putting the chain on the gear then trying to put it on the cam?

Last edited by carson356; 12-18-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 45
Ray, I tried putting the chain around the gear and then trying to put the gear over the cam. I've also tried putting the gear on the cam and then trying to put the chain around the gear. Both unsuccessful. Any time today is great! I'm watching the Chargers upset the Colts. I'll email you
__________________
1991 190e 2.6 190,000mi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2005, 04:09 PM
carson356
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlefferts
Ray, I tried putting the chain around the gear and then trying to put the gear over the cam. I've also tried putting the gear on the cam and then trying to put the chain around the gear. Both unsuccessful. Any time today is great! I'm watching the Chargers upset the Colts. I'll email you
i will be heading up that way later today, i will give you a call when i am near you
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 45
Problem solved... If you've ever had the timing chain cover removed, you've seen several structural support "pegs" on the backside of the cover which are part of the cast aluminum piece. When I re-installed the cover, one of the "pegs" got between the chain and the crankgear. It all went back together smooth and the timing chain was also smooth as I rotated it. However, the end result was that the timing chain was several inches shorter when I was trying to put the chain over the camgear. I had to remove the timing chain cover again to discover what I had done wrong. Thanks to Carson356 for helping me diagnose the problem as well as install & crimp a new timing chain. If anyone wants pictures of the "pegs", back of the timing cover, or the front end of the engine with the timing cover off I'd be happy to post a picture.
__________________
1991 190e 2.6 190,000mi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page