Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:01 PM
shoe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 583
2006 E350

I am looking at a certified preowned 06 E350 with navigation, side sun screens and just about everything else that was offered as an option. any known issues with this year model? I am very familiar with diesels but do not have any experience with this year, model and options. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

__________________
Keith Schuster
2006 E350 98K miles
2013 Ford Explorer 15K miles
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:54 PM
mbzman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 600
From what I've read the brake by wire system (SBC) was quite problematic on the early W211s. I believe they went back to regular brakes for 2007. I would avoid the SBC equipped models even though the warranty was extended on this system.
__________________
1989 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 PM
shoe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 583
Thanks for the heads up
__________________
Keith Schuster
2006 E350 98K miles
2013 Ford Explorer 15K miles
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tucker, Ga USA
Posts: 12,153
SBC issues are "mostly" covered by a 10 year warranty.

Lack of oil changes can cause issues with the balance shaft gear & wear issue.
__________________
MERCEDES Benz Master Guild Technician (6 TIMES)
ASE Master Technician
Mercedes Benz Star Technician (2 times)
44 years foreign automotive repair
27 Years M.B. Shop foreman (dealer)
MB technical information Specialist (15 years)
190E 2.3 16V ITS SCCA race car (sold)
1986 190E 2.3 16V 2.5 (sold)
Retired Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,527
I think the SBC thing is a red herring. I would not be concerned about it. There were a lot of customer concerns when it first came out, but that's because it was different, not broken. Unless you plan to keep the car well beyond 2016, I wouldn't give it any thought. And yes, I do own a 2006.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
shoe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 583
Well, we will see...I bought it yesterday! Absolutly awesome vehicle as good as my 96 and 97 E300's were this car is light years ahead. Thanks for the input.

MBDOC what are the recommended service intervals in your opinion? I have always performed my own preventative maintenance; also what services do you recommend I let MB perform? Another question with SBC what differences are there to replacing brake pads and rotors when the time comes? I am sure I will have other questions thanks for the responses all.
__________________
Keith Schuster
2006 E350 98K miles
2013 Ford Explorer 15K miles
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,527
MB went from FSS to a fixed miles/time service interval. I think it's 13K miles/1 year on your 2006, though they later went to 10K/1 year with no apparent change to the mechanicals, oils, etc. Your owners manual will describe it, and the info display has the same countdown readout as the 210 cars - just use the up/down arrow buttons from the main display. Maybe the good Doc will chime in with an opinion on what's necessary to keep the engine happy (Is that an M272...can't remember the designation)?

You can google up recommendations on how to change brake components yourself w/SBC. Basically, you need to be very, very certain the SBC pump does not activate while you are working on the car. You can unplug the electrical harness at the SBC pump, or close and lock the doors. Other than making sure SBC doesn't activate, it's a normal brake job - the calipers and such are quite conventional.

You do need to pay a shop with the correct service equipment to change the brake fluid; I don't believe there is any way to effectively DIY a brake flush with SBC.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Posts: 1,946
This car has one of the very early M272 engines.

Could have some balancer shaft gear problems and perhaps also oil leak at plastic plug at rear of cylinder head. Should be covered under CPO, and dealer should have records of whether these things have been previously addressed.

Thing not quite addressed as regards SBC, is that there were indeed some niggling problems, but once these are fixed they don't reoccur.

Actually the calipers are not really "quite conventional," as they feature basically spring-mounted pads, making need for grease to address squeaking go away. It's a cool feature.

Nice feature of Mercedes ownership is http://www.startekinfo.com from which you can subscribe for free to use the Mercedes parts system and from which you can either order DVD of service procedures for your car or pay for a one-day subscription to download them. The latter approach is the better way to keep current on dealer technical bulletins (DTB) which are the same things that are called TSB for lesser cars. This stuff is fixed for free under warranty.

If you're going to do DIY, you need the tools, and having factory procedures is the most important tool to have. Don't even attempt an oil change without them.
__________________
Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI, '06 SLK350
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
shoe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
This car has one of the very early M272 engines.

Could have some balancer shaft gear problems and perhaps also oil leak at plastic plug at rear of cylinder head. Should be covered under CPO, and dealer should have records of whether these things have been previously addressed.

Thing not quite addressed as regards SBC, is that there were indeed some niggling problems, but once these are fixed they don't reoccur.

Actually the calipers are not really "quite conventional," as they feature basically spring-mounted pads, making need for grease to address squeaking go away. It's a cool feature.

Nice feature of Mercedes ownership is http://www.startekinfo.com from which you can subscribe for free to use the Mercedes parts system and from which you can either order DVD of service procedures for your car or pay for a one-day subscription to download them. The latter approach is the better way to keep current on dealer technical bulletins (DTB) which are the same things that are called TSB for lesser cars. This stuff is fixed for free under warranty.

If you're going to do DIY, you need the tools, and having factory procedures is the most important tool to have. Don't even attempt an oil change without them.
Thanks I am very familiar with startek info I have used it on many occasions for my diesels. As MBDOC stated as long as I keep fresh oil and filter I should be ok with the engine.
__________________
Keith Schuster
2006 E350 98K miles
2013 Ford Explorer 15K miles
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-21-2010, 12:12 PM
ILUVMILS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,743
Post the VIN and I'll see if the balance shaft has been done already.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 AM
shoe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMILS View Post
Post the VIN and I'll see if the balance shaft has been done already.
WDBUF56J16A812096
__________________
Keith Schuster
2006 E350 98K miles
2013 Ford Explorer 15K miles
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 PM
ILUVMILS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,743
Your car hasn't any repairs related to the balance shaft issue. In February of this year your dealer did lots of work to bring the vehicle up to CPO standards. The list is pretty typical for a five year old W211 with 40K+ miles. Enjoy the car.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
shoe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMILS View Post
Your car hasn't any repairs related to the balance shaft issue. In February of this year your dealer did lots of work to bring the vehicle up to CPO standards. The list is pretty typical for a five year old W211 with 40K+ miles. Enjoy the car.
Thanks!!! I bought the additional two years of warranty to give me three years and up to 100K of CPO warranty so I feel comfortable.

__________________
Keith Schuster
2006 E350 98K miles
2013 Ford Explorer 15K miles
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page