View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 02:32 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
(Sorry for doubling up on this issue - found this thread and thought it was more on point for my concerns than the other thread I started on the same issue - which has divergent opinions...)

I've read (maybe not absorbed fully) too many threads on vacuum-pumps at this point. Seems in particular that Sixto & gsxr speak with authority, certainly on a simple question like mine: do I indeed have something to fear from my vac pump, 1983 300SD (OM617), as pictured? If it matters, it's stamped with the Pierburg name/logo. I can pretty easily pull the pump at this point if need be to look for the roller/camfollower per Sixto's photo, but I can't well afford a "replace it just in case" pump right now.

A little help? Make sure no plastic-caged bearings? Really necessary to pull it?

Thanks - Dave
For the piston vacuum pumps on the OM61X series I did this thread =>

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/339870-more-than-you-likely-ever-want-know-about-om61x-piston-vacuum-pumps.html

(links to other threads too)
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!