View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 PM
ROLLGUY

Little or NO power after bottoming out suspension- 1981 300SD

My friend was driving his SD on a dirt road and hit a dip, bottoming out the suspension and denting the oil pan.
About a mile later, the car died.

He tried putting on new filters, but still could not get the car to start.
He got it towed home and called me.

I replaced the dented oil pan.
I also replaced the old style (leaking) primer pump thinking that is the reason it would not start.

After about an hour trying to start it, I suspected something was wrong with the injection pump.
I decided to pull the IP and replace it with a known good one.

After trying to get the start of delivery set (removing/replacing the IP three times), I figured something was wrong with the timing device, or something else.
I decided to just put the original pump back on.
After successfully getting SOD set, the engine finally started, however, it barely had any power, and it would only rev up to maybe 1,500 RPM.

I don't want to pull the IP again.
I thought that maybe the muffler was clogged, so I pulled the downpipe off the turbo, and still no power.
It seems to idle perfectly, but barely has enough power to move the car in gear (I can walk faster).

I also found out that the turbo was worn out, and thought that it might be bad enough to keep the engine from getting any air.
I removed both manifolds and the turbo, and started the engine to see if the turbo was restricting the air (had it bolted to the oil feed tube and drain tube to prevent an oil spill), but still no power.

Having ruled out he entire exhaust system, the only thing left is the fuel system.
The filters are both new, and the primer pump is new (new style).
I even tried pumping the primer while it was running to help pump fuel, but still no change.
I also tried clamping the return hose, but that did not change anything either.

Anyone have any ideas?
Like I said, I really don't want to pull the IP again.

There is the possibility that something broke inside the IP from the suspension bottoming out, but I would like to rule everything else out before trying another IP (for the second time).
I already have over 8 hours invested in trying to repair my friends car (his only transportation), and don't want to needlessly invest any more.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help...Rich

Last edited by whunter; 02-18-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: readability